Repairing screw holes when selling and moving out?

I haven't moved house for many years. When all the bits and pieces are taken down there will be a lot of screw holes in the walls, I'm happy to fill them but won't be able to re-paint them all. What do people expect when they buy a house these days?

Reply to
nospam

I've never bothered with any of that.

Lots of holes ... ?

Reply to
Huge

:-)

Reply to
nospam

Depends on the target market. If first time buyers, might sell better if looking not to need lots of re-decoration.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perfection, thanks to telly programmes. They are often disappointed.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Sample Pots

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Don't forget that you can completely transform the house you are selling in a 60 minute makeover given enough tradesman!

I'm still not sure how those painting avoid all the dust generated by the carpet fitters and hole drillers - or maybe the cameras don't focus too closely on the finished project :)

Reply to
alan_m

Trust me, the TV company lies.

Reply to
ARW

*Everything* you see on TV is a lie.
Reply to
Huge

My son and his wife spent 000s of pounds and man-months of their time installing a new kitchen/diner in their first home, which was a small terrace in Crayford. It was perfect when they'd finished. Then, within months, due to their first child coming, and an unexpected bequest, they were able to up-size.

The first thing the new owners did was to rip out that expensive (and dream-come-true) kitchen -- it was on the front drive by the end of the first week.

In other words: don't fill the holes, for god's sake. If someone wants your house they will buy it -- and if they quibble over cosmetic details, whether it's holes in the wall, or they don't like the kitchen: tell them to forget it -- you'll find another buyer.

J.

Reply to
Another John

Assuming you will not take things down until contracts are exchanged and you move out then just leave the holes. Most people will want to change the decor and make some more holes of their own.

It would only make sense to fill in holes and repaint if you were moving out before putting the place on the market. Even so it's a lot of work and won't make a significant difference to the sale.

Reply to
DJC

presumably though the holes won't be there until after its sold and the previous owner moves out?

Reply to
John Rumm

I do not have a TV!

Reply to
ARW

I would not take down pics etc until sale is completed, I would put effort to tidy clean whatever the kitchen & bathrooms (but not spend money) as those 2 rooms will sway a woman who normally gets the final say.

Reply to
ss

This.

Reply to
Huge

Yes they find even the light fittings are missing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its a kind of justifiable generalisation of course. Nothing is ever perfect. Its simply not possible but if you get a warranty you can get it fixed. I know a person who had one of these. The so called 60 mins refers tto the basic structure, not all the finishing and decorating etc, trust me, it makes boring viewing! It is, after all mostly watching paint dry! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Removing clutter - like pictures on the wall - before putting a house on sale is generally recommended to make the place more sale able - creates a feeling of more space.

Reply to
mechanic

Not quite. But you can be sure that any 'reality' programme is anything but.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you remove light fittings, you're supposed to leave a working light in its place.

When I bought this house, she'd even taken the fitted lino with her. And every single lamp. But left the cellar full of stuff - and a cat. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)