Repairing rendering on wall

My garden wall is rendered. It has developed a crack over a few years and now needs a patch applying. About 1.5m by 20cm. Is it worth putting anything such as stainless steel mesh onto the wall before applying new render. Does it need PVA. Help appreciated. Tim

Reply to
Tim Decker

If the wall moves, it will crack. Putting EML on will simply move the position of the crack. So no imho.

Matter of opinion really. PVA isnt waterproof. Its mainly useful if the substrate's cumbling, but if it is you should really cut back to sound material.

Some walls move and crack, and need repair from time to time. Its unlikely that one can stop it, unless by simple measures such as fixing pointing.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

No to both, I'd just render it, but if you make sure to remove as much render as appears loose, so you are working up to a soundly attached edge, the repair will last longer. Don't take that too literally or you'll have a bare wall before you know it.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Try SBR instead of pva

Reply to
stuart noble

It helps if you can undercut the edge too ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sorry but I may have misled you all. It is just the render that has cracked as far as I can tell. The last couple of years of frost have caused the render to break away. I will give it a go with some more render and see how it goes.

Reply to
Tim Decker

Yes, I understood what you meant ;-)

Cheers Richard