Rendering exterior wall

I have just build a garden wall from concrete blocks which is now ready to render (well when the mortar has dried)

How would i go about rendering it. I know i use sand/cement. Does this have to be sloppier to apply it to the wall.

Also will the wall need some sort of primer or can i just get stuck in.

Any comments greatly appreciated, thanks

Reply to
Shabs