Repairing mouse-nibbled cables (twin without earth)

Are you certain repairing an existing installation that once conformed to regs isn't allowed?
If you're worried about having an ECC on a short length of replaced cable, simply pull it out.
--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

On Thursday, 5 October 2017 17:04:00 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The original problem sounded worse than it actually is.
"once conformed to regs" is a red herring, as even bare wire on cleats once conformed to regs.
I would also coil up sufficient spare new T&E in the ceiling to allow the switch drop to be replaced at a future date without needing a join.
Owain

The difficulty is that new work has to be to current standards, and this one of those cases where you can't really do it. So its going to be a bodge either way unless you rewire the circuit.

Or label it as not connected on both ends.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 05/10/2017 11:37, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

10mm earth?
--
Adam

On 06/10/2017 19:22, ARW wrote:

Perhaps it is armoured or has some other mechanical protection?
Should you firstly not try to stop the problem reoccurring ie exterminate the mouse problem and stop them gaining access to the wiring? Brian
--
----- -
On 05/10/2017 16:40, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'll try, but with a house like this I think that's going to be a challenge, even without cats that seem to have "taken" to the country life ;-)
On 05/10/2017 10:59, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Generally, unused cores should be tied to earth if possible. In cases where that is not possible, then ideally they could be terminated in some way to prevent them from being able to make accidental contact with anything else. So terminating in a bit of chock block or in an insulated butt crimp (with nothing in the other side) would meet the requirements. Leaving a length of earth folded back in some earth sleeving is also commonly done (although not totally compliant)
Any of those are seen as preferable to clipping the earth wire off tight against the stripped outer since it means it could be brought into service later if the circumstances changed.

Insulated Crimps and heat shrink is acceptable in most cases.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Cable_crimping#Heatshrink
--
Cheers,

John.
On 05/10/2017 18:11, John Rumm wrote:

If I find any more cables that have just had the outer insulation nibbled I think I'll wrap them with self-amalgamating tape rather than splicing-in a new piece of cable and sleeving with heat shrink. I wonder whether mice prefer self amalgamating tape or PVC insulation ... ?
On 05/10/2017 21:13, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

It has the advantage of working when there is no free end to thread through the heat shrink!

That I don't know!
--
Cheers,

John.