Repairing guttering from a ladder

In message , AL_n writes

I'd use new, given the effort required to get the stuff up.

Reply to
chris French

That is how I did soffits, gutters and facias. Loop of rope fixed where the far end of the length would be, then a long rope through that lashed to the far end of what ever I was trying to install. Lashed on and as these things are so slippy, add some gaffa tape to stop the lashing slipping.

For facias...

Pull the section up, tie the loose end of the rope then climb up and fix the nearest end in place temporary, then move to far end to fix that temporarily, back to near end and fix properly.

For gutters you just fix the brackets all the way along on the facia first and you can then just lift it into place with one hand onto the brackets then use the brackets to support whilst you slide it to the correct location.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

AL_n explained on 10/08/2011 :

Steep is OK, providing you lash the ladder close to the top first.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm about to replace some distorted grey half round (22 years), but as I'd prefer black I am going to use new. I have the luxury of a s/h professional alloy tower (£600 from eBay). Don't skimp too much on the number of brackets (which is what the previous "pro" installer did).

Reply to
Newshound

Phil L expressed precisely :

I made up a template, to make sure they were in line. I also found I needed to make up some ply strips to act as spacers the length and width of the rafter ends, because the ends were not perfectly in line. Fix the strips in place first, using a string line as a reference. Then another string line to get the gutter brackets in line, but with th correct fall.

I managed the complete job facias, soffits, gutters plus fall pipes front and rear on our semi in a weekend - two of us, on two ladders but only one long enough to reach the top.

It was one of those jobs I wouldn't trust to the pros to do to my standards of straight,having seen some poor examples.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Newshound has brought this to us :

I interspersed a pair of pins, gutter bracket, pair of pins, bracket - at each rafter end. I used 2" x 8 brass screws for the brackets, which I just happened to have in stock. Stainless or brass, so there is no chance of them rusting away.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Is that steep *before* you have fitted a stand off? If so remember that the stand off will make it steeper still.

So I may be forced to hire some scaffolding at the end of the

But it doesn't cost as much as fu*******k, thump. At the very least I echo the point about tying off the ladder at the top to solid anchors.

Reply to
Robin

FWIW that seemed to me good stuff for a Wiki entry.

Reply to
Robin

Last time I replaced gutters, they were made of cast iron - definitely not something that could be held in one hand. They were also Ogee form and were attached by screws through the back upstand - no brackets. That was a job that had to be done from scaffolding.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Mine is adjustable, I think it came from Machine Mart. The downside is it just contacts teh wall in two places.

For the OP's job, after initial work and inspection I got in scaffolding (at a very reasonable price) to complete the job[1]. It was much easier.

[1] I also had to strip off the bottom rows of tiles, and those at the verge in order to replace the felt which had been wrongly/badly fitted when the house was built.
Reply to
<me9