repairing damaged dryline plasterboard

Hi all

I removed some tiles from a wall. The wall is 12mm plasterboard dot- and-dabbed onto breeze blocks. In most places the tiles came away cleanly but in one area the tiles had been stuck down very firmly. Having removed those tiles I now have a 3 x 3 foot section where the wallboard is more or less destroyed (breeze blocks showing in places and any plasterboard that is left is very weak). I am thinking of cutting out that 3 x 3 foot section of plasterboard and replacing it with a new piece. I think the plasterboard adhesive comes in 25 kg bags which would be overkill for this sort of job. Is there something else I could use to glue the plasterboard to the breeze blocks? (Gripfill?).

Can anyone advise me how I make the joint between the new and old existing plasterboard? I think it involves tape and Easi-Fill? -do you fill the joint with Easi-Fill, tape over the joint, apply Easi-Fill over the tape and then sand it down when dry? Or are Easi-Fill and tapes two alternative methods and you use either one or the other rather than both?

thanks in advance

Julian

Reply to
noos999

The kosher stuff to use for this is indeed plasterboard adhesive; a bag costs 4 or 5 quid and although you'd waste 90% of it, you'd probably pay as much for enough gripfil to do the job (depends how much gap there is between the existing plasterboard and the breezeblocks). But I expect it would work OK.

Suggest that thr next step depends on:

a) what final finish are you intending for the refurbished wall: new tiles? wallpaper? Or just emulsion? and

b) is the existing (originally tiled) surface skim-plastered, or is it bare board?

David

Reply to
Lobster

David

The refurbished wall will be tiled.

The existing surface is bare board

thanks

Julian

Reply to
noos999

Easy then. Just cut the 'patch' board to the correct size for the hole, apply dollops of adhesive to the back, and press it into place, so that the dollops get flattened a bit... stop pressing when the patch is flush with the old board.

Given the new tiling I wouldn't be too fussed about doing anything much more, providing there's no perceptible 'give' in the new or old plasterboard around the repaired area (ie enough glue used... easier with proper adhesive). You could always put bed lengths of scrim into the tile adhesive later if you were worried.

But what I *would* do now is plan out now exactly how your tiles are going to lie on the wall, so you can arrange the patch not to coincide with joints in the tiling - that's definitely to be avoided. Ideally, have tiles spanning all four edges of the patch equally on either side of the narrow gap between patch and original wall - you might need to increase the patch size a bit to accomodate this.

David

Reply to
Lobster

David

This worked very well, many thanks for the advice!

Julian

Reply to
noos999