Repairing an electric Oven

I am in the process of repairing my Zanussi ZCV667mx lower oven, it has two ovens. Basically the thermostat has failed meaning the over heat thermostat has also gone. I noticed when looking at the spare parts available that there is also what is described as a 230 centigrade thermostat N0 and also described as TEMP OVERHEAT 230 N C KLIXON. What is this for. Is it for the Grill protection. I ask this as the grill works but when on after a while the house RCB trips and as yet not sure what would cause this. Any advice appreciated

Reply to
steve jones

I'd imagine the RCD trip is a faulty grill element, leaking to earth when hot.

They are usually easy to replace but probably require access to the back of the oven.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Often not (access to the back that is). Our Creda has very simple element replacement for all the elements. You just remove the appropriate cover (screws) and then the element has push on connectors and screws attaching it. The most awkward/difficult bit is usually removing the cover from the lamp which has to be done to get the metal cover off (why the lamp cover is shaped so it has to come off to remove the metal cover is beyond me!).

Reply to
Chris Green

Our Hotpoint was a nightmare. Most of the casing had to be removed to disconnect and remove the grill element! Lots of sharp edges too.

Not had to do that on the Bosch yet.

Reply to
Bob Eager

AIUI my Neff is a twin of a Bosch coming off the production line? Had to remove whole oven, take back off, turn upside down to get the lower element out ... similar sharp edges everywhere inside.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I know some models are like that. Just hoping mine isn't!

Reply to
Bob Eager

klaxon is french for a (car) horn and I think a siren/alarm too. TW

Reply to
TimW

possibly originally a trade name.

Reply to
charles

Klixon is a trade name. A play on "Clicks On", as if at one time they made relays or roller microswitches.

For an item like that which bolts into place, check the datasheet for the torque wrench setting. The lower temperature ones are sometimes affixed with a bit of thermal grease to aid the (lousy) contact mechanism.

The price on those has gone up a lot over the years. Middlemen for the win.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Sometimes it can also be the ingress of cleaning materials or general grot that as it heats conducts just enough to trip it. Either way, you would need to get at the connections and see whats what.I hate ovens. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Thanks, that makes sense as it is normally open. Mind you 230 centigrade is pretty hot!

Reply to
steve jones