Repairing a Stone Post

A while ago the stone post at the end of mt wall was knocked down by a delivery vehicle (it was done whilst we were out and nobody saw who it was). The post is in 3 pieces of stone (probably dates from when the house was built in 1890).
The post is roughly 18" square an an uneven base. It looks like it may have been repaired before.
Is there any preferred mix of cement/sand to use for the mortar, Any additives as this is a heavy lump (takes two of us to lift it!)
I do plan to drill a couple of holes and use some steel rod (probably rebar) to give additional support to the structure.
Any thoughts on the mortar mix?
Cheers
Peter
On Friday, 27 April 2018 15:14:54 UTC+1, puffernutter wrote:

3:1 mix of sand & builder's lime. Cement is deprecated on stone, many use it but when it eventually lets go it pulls the surface off the stone with it.
NT
On 27/04/2018 15:14, puffernutter wrote:

If the 2 breaks are fairly clean then epoxy might be worth considering for them.
--
Robin

+1, especially if they nit together well. And if you're going to reinforce the joint with a steel bar of some sort, use stainless, as ordinary bar will rust and either split the joint of even the post itself. I've seen granite a gate-post split because a hinge hook had been jammed into a hole, and it rusted and split the post.
--

Chris

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 07:14:50 -0700 (PDT), puffernutter

There was an item on repairing milestones, on last week's BBC Countryfile, 22nd April, Heritage Crafts, about 40 minutes in. Not hugely detailed, but they were using some sort of steel reinforcing bar and a resin adhesive. Possibly give you some ideas. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b10rnf/countryfile-heritage-crafts#
--

Chris