Repair gouge on wooden table edge

I've filled knot holes with it, and your dent looks about the same sort of size. In fact, if you use a dark shade, it even looks like a knot, which might be easier than trying to match that elusive pale pine colour.

Reply to
stuart noble

Hi. I've got a wooden table that's about 20 years old and is in reasonably good condition except for a gouge about 1 cm across on one edge (top left of image).

anybody recommend a DIY product that'd do a reasonable repair?

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Your best bet might be to steam-treat it with a steam iron, which swells the wood fibres... never actually tried it myself but I'm told it can give excellent results

David

Reply to
Lobster

Get some woodfiller, it comes in different colours and pine is available everywhere. It blends in quite nicely once set and sanded down....you may have to sand the entire table down and give it all a coat of clear varnish, my guess is that it would come up like new.

Reply to
Phil L

I'd use a Liberon Wax stick. Easy to just rub it across the damaged area and, unlike some fillers, you know in advance how good a colour match it'll be

Reply to
stuart noble

Steaming good. Wet, wrung-out tea towel, hot iron - let the steam sizzle for a good few seconds - repeat as necessary until you've lifted out all you can.

Works best on surface dings and compression type damage.

If it still needs filling, Brummer is the product used by most cabinet makers:

can also blend sawdust of the right colour with a glue like cascamite to make up a matching filler.

Reply to
dom

Brummer is basically clay, which IMO is not really flexible enough for an exposed edge. It would probably behave like a loose knot.

Reply to
stuart noble

will wax work in a dent?? I can understand a scratch being filled with it

Reply to
Kevin

Fair point.

Reply to
dom

Can't you plane the edge down a bit and re-form the radius. Then sand the whole table and give it some sort of varnishing. It looks like solid wood and that it would cope.

Reply to
John

On that theme you could run a router around the edge to create a new profile. Not sure of the OP's circumstances though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

OK, thanks. I'll order a couple of sticks and give it a go.

Reply to
Dave Farrance