Repair carpet strip

In my rented flat half the kitchen is tiled and half carpeted.

The metal strip that separates them has lifted up at one part and my wife keeps tripping over it. But it has no nails/screws holding it down and feeling under it there is no spikes or anything else obvious so I guess it must be glued?

Does this sound right? If so what kind of glue and do I glue it to the tile half or carpet half or both?

Thanks!

Reply to
jimmy

Some are held down with double sided carpet tape, with the tape being stuck to the floor beside the tiles.

Similar to how I did a transition strip from and engineered wood floor to carpet:

The base of the strip sits on the floorboards up against the taller wood flooring. Same trick would work against tiles. I could have stuck the base to the floor (but pinned it instead).

Reply to
John Rumm

Does it have the carpet gripping spikes on the underside? If it does then all the ones I have in my house have tiny screws countersunk holding the non carpet side down. Sounds like standards are slipping or they are using some very good glue. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I'd use gripfill to the tiles.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Some are held down with double sided carpet tape, with the tape being stuck to the floor beside the tiles.

Similar to how I did a transition strip from and engineered wood floor to carpet:

The base of the strip sits on the floorboards up against the taller wood flooring. Same trick would work against tiles. I could have stuck the base to the floor (but pinned it instead).

Reply to
jimmy

A screwed fixing will probably do a better job long term anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

The joining strip should have the correct underside profile ie flat to rest on the carpet & a rebate to but against the tiles. If there is a height difference between the carpet & tiles the strip will be angled rather than horizontal but unless excessive should be acceptable. Having done this job for some elderly neighbours some months back, I used clear silicon to fill the gap between the tiles & carpet & to glue down the strip. Left overnight with a couple of weighty objects the bond is as strong as the material the strip is made of.

Reply to
wasbit