RENDERING MADE EASY?!!

Help! We are in the process of renovating an old French farmhouse which requires a lot of rendering. Most surfaces to be rendered are brickwork and some cob walls. Is there are an easy way or is it a laborious backbreaking process! Any advice on the best mix would be most welcome! Regards Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Shouting does not help

Reply to
Alex

Is this Portland or lime cement ?

Reply to
Mike

On this great daySun, 20 Feb 2005 20:07:45 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

Reply to
Mike

They use both - hence the question. They have sprayers for the lime based stuff.

Reply to
Mike

Well you will build up lots of muscles you didn't know you had. Use lime mortar with no cement in it on an old house. I believe French builders / builders merchants know as little about lime as they do here in England, but chase up a French company called St Astier who make hydraulic lime. Their web pages are helpful. What St Astier don't make is non-hydraulic lime (aka putty lime or hydrated lime) which would be better for the cob but is I think almost unheard of in France so if you go the St Astier route then use the most feebly hydraulic lime they make which may be NHL 2

The two bits of kit you can use to make the work less exhausting are

  1. A mixer. A pan mill mixes better than a cement mixer, but is less readily available
  2. An applicator gun. These are used more frequently in France than here in England. You will still have to rub up the surface

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to