removing window?

Firstly thanks for your replies to my other recent posts; I now have1 SDS driil and frame fixings on order. Now on to the project itself - replacing a side hung timber casement window. I have the process down as:

  1. Remove glass
  2. Remove old frame*
  3. Offer up new frame
  4. Wedge frame in place ensuring it is square
  5. Fix frame through sides with frame fixings
  6. Glaze
  7. Seal around frame
  8. Make good inside

  • My question is looking at the frame on the outside it is resting on the layer of mortar above the soldier bricks - how do I remove the frame without pulling soldier bricks away with it - how do the double glazing guys do it?

As always any advice greatly appreciated.

Reply to
bob

hate to say this Bob but you dont really need the drill. a few steel nails would have done anyway because you will be sealing the new frame on the inside and outside with cement. if you take the old frame out and the new one is measured correctly it will fit in that space and screws are unnecessary. when you put in the new frame, use timber wedges to secure it and plaster it up all round.

Reply to
noelogara

sorry Bob forgot to say cut the old frame in the middle and yank it out in bits. Just be careful you dont disturb the bricks. The frill could come in handy for making a line of holes in it until its cut in a few places to get it out because its hard to saw it.

Reply to
noelogara

4A) Spray foam round the frame. Leave for half an hour, then

You can then drill away to your heart's content without fear of disturbing the wedges

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That's a strange thing to say. How do you know it will be sealed outside with cement? - inside, yes there's a possibility (it could be boxed in) but if it's sitting on the outside skin (or the inside for that matter) and the house isn't externaly rendered then there's no cement involved outside.

And the wedges shrink or rot then the frame falls out, worse still if it's a PVC frame (which is highly likely these days) once winter comes, the frame itself will contract slightly and the wedges will be loose, this is why foam is used, given that it's strong and flexible.

To the OP: Throw the frame fixings away, they are not required unless they are quite small (3 inch or less) - anything larger tends to pull PVC frames out of square. Wedge, then use foam (sparingly) and leave to set for a few hours, two small fixings on each side is all that is required, although a lot of window fitters don't use any. Plaster inside and finish outside after glazing.

Reply to
Phil L

  1. Fill in Building Regulations application :-(

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ok, bit of history, used to have an opening to a conservatory which was removed, space bricked up and window installed. 2 problems builder didn't have correct soldier bricks at time of job so a 2 course gap was left between sill and new wall. Soldier bricks inserted at a later date so I am guessing the mortar that I can see between top of soldier bricks and window would have stuck to the sill. Second problem, glazing of window was done incorrectly (not cross braced) causes the sashes to become out-of-square (jeld-wen inspection pointed this out). Hence,I am replacing window and doing the job myself :-).

Reply to
bob

bob, the glass wouldnt move so my guess is that the frame twisted a bit and that throws the sashes out a bit. best thing is to take out the old window and put the new one up to it and judge it from there. there is no real problem. Just take your time and make sure you get it fitting squarely and whatever way you seal it in wherher with silicone (my favourite) or screws and then mortar on the inside that is easily done. If the brickwork is stepped out a little in front then a good seal of silicone is best applied to the frame front edges If not you should still seal it all round on the outside with clear or white silicone if its a white window.. The most important thing you want to fix is getting it set in correctly whether you wedge it or screw it is secondary. you have to be careful you dont pull it out of line so be careful that the wedges are near the corners rather than the centre.

Reply to
noelogara