Removing / Installing Fluorescent Starters

I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think) and changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to grip, and you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12 foot up. (yes I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is huge)
There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have on the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially - so today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do it years ago - SO much easier :)
Andrew
On 23/04/2018 21:16, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Is it because years ago you did not have a 3D printer?
--
Adam

On Monday, 23 April 2018 21:16:27 UTC+1, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I'd have used a scrap of wood & 2 bolts.
NT
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:47:43 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

B-)
There was a comment that it would be "difficult to do in wood", a challenge if ever there was one... but is using a couple of bolts cheating? Does it have to be wood and wood only, solid wood no parts?
--
Cheers
Dave.

Exactly my thoughts the other day where one of my (only) two fittings in the kitchen seems to have it's starter socket recessed more than the other, even requiring me to open the fitting up to retrieve a lost starter on one occasion. ;-(
Did you design this tool yourself Andrew? A thin walled tube with a couple of lugs up inside a bit to give you some turning purchase?
Cheers, T i m
"T i m" wrote in message wrote:

I drew it up in Fusion 360 and printed it on my Cetus 3D printer - it's a simple tube with two ridges on the inside. The dimples are only 2mm wide so difficult to do with wood and screws, but dead easy with a 3D printer :) . I suppose without the 3D printer I could have milled one out, but not an easy operation.
Andrew
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:10:53 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

Do you use a .stl output file and would you be willing to share it OOI Andrew?

Quite. It's not one of those things you would buy (or build <g>) a 3D printer for but once you have one it sounds like a good use. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
"T i m" wrote in message wrote:

Happy to share the .STL - de-munge my address and email me and I'll forward it to you
Andrew
On 23/04/2018 22:52, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Perhaps we should host some of that kind of stuff on the wiki?
--
Cheers,

John.
On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 00:47:44 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

not a bad idea
NT
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:11:14 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

+1
Definitely a modern take on the d-i-y and helping each other theme. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 24/04/2018 08:59, T i m wrote:

I will need to tweak the allowable file types for upload - since mediawiki by default only allows a limited list of file types.
What are the typical file extensions?
(or perhaps its easier to simply allow .zip and assume anything will be zipped first)
--
Cheers,

John.
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 13:35:21 +0100, Tim+ wrote:
=====snip====

Potentially but it's more accurate to say that a zip file is simply a container file that can hold any type of file (compressed or not) which could just as easily be malware as not. They've certainly been used for such nefarious a purpose in times past as well as providing a convenient way of sending a group of jpg picture files as just a single attachment to an email.
A zip file could be likened to the container for Schroedinger’s cat that's been alluded to in recent posts elsewhere in this group. Until you open it, the contents of an anonymous zip file are both bonumware and malware simultaneously. :-)
--
Johnny B Good

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 12:49:20 +0100, John Rumm

I'd say .stl is a fairly common output file format if people wanted to submit finished things for others to print (or possibly convert and print) but I've only really experienced my own printer and Sketchup etc.

Lots of stuff for 3D printing seems to come zipped (Thingiverse etc) as many 3D printed jobs are made of several parts and may also include notes and the source / design files.
Cheers, T i m
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:47:43 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Sounds like a good idea, and maybe a list of those willing to do the printing for a nominal fee or known good commercial places. Still waiting for a coin/card operarted 3D printer to turn up in the local Spar, it's got a photocopier...
--
Cheers
Dave.

72? Aaaeeiii! And I'm wincing at the cost of replacing the 8(?) fittings in my barn/workshop with LEDs.
I am very pleased with the two I put up in the garage. But the damn things were £48 each. If I were to buy more, I think I'd try and source them from somewhere cheaper than Screwfix.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 40th day of Discord in the YOLD 3184
On 23 Apr 2018 21:41:15 GMT, Huge wrote:

I'm very pleased with the three I got for the kitchens and utily room here.

One was about £15 (Philips Homebase, distress purchase). The other two £4.99 from Aldi when they didn't sell and priced dropped from the orginal £9.99.
5' 22W 2000lm CRI >90. Lower lumens than a 58W florry but I barely noticed the light level change on swapping and certainly don't now. Acid test: SWMBO'd has made no comment.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Sounds interesting.... any pictures?
How long did it take to print out?
"alo" wrote in message wrote:

About 30 minutes - thread and pictures here :
https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12558.0.html
Andrew