120 V starters for fluorescent lights

I have a couple of fluorescent light fittings in the house, each containing two fairly standard tubes and two 120 volt starters. I know the starters need to be 120 volt ones because I discovered a few years ago that 240 volt ones won't start the lights.

I think I need some new starters again, but every electrical & lighting shop I've tried so far doesn't have them, and a quick WWW search only shows them in the USA (where they are obviously useful).

Are double-tube fittings wired this way obsolete now?

Reply to
Adam Funk

I needed some 120v ones recently (for a fly killer that uses two uv tubes in series) and found some on ebay fairly easily.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Adam Funk wrote in news:8udj59xdsg.ln2 @news.ducksburg.com:

I think FS2 starters are what you need. Have a look here.

Heliotrope Smith

Have you been able to find a supplier of the the old style magnetic chokes these things seem to use? I have two dead fly killers where the fluoros 2x 110vac magnetic ballast has burned out. The only place I could find online advertising them did not in fact have any stock :(

Reply to
Martin Brown

If you tell us the tube specs, the problem should be solvable.

Its odd to have 2x 110v ballasts, 1x 240v one for the pair is more normal.

NT

Reply to
NT

Sorry to mislead that was from memory. The dead units are sat in the garage. It is on checking it is a single choke driving two 18" 15W tubes in series each with their own starter. The choke is marked Yongxin Dy-30

220-240 50Hz 2x15W 18" tubes and they are absolute crap.

Two flykillers failed about a month after their warrantee ran out in exactly the same way - the choke is now open circuit. The HT zapper still works fine but the flies don't visit without the blue light lure.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Twin tube 18W/24" single ballast is one of the most commonly used commercially, and starters used in these will be easily available from any electrical wholesaler, or a good retail lighting store. These are normally rated for 4-22W, but using starters as you go lower down that power range becomes more wearing on the tubes, and you will get short tube life, particularly if switched on/off frequently. You might want to consider completely removing the starters and ballast and replace with electronic control gear suitable for those tubes.

Meanwhile, you could replace the tubes with a piece of raw chicken, and you'll probably find the zapper is 10 times more effective than it used to be...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I am unsure how the full electronic ballasts would work with a pair of tubes in series like this - fluoro lighting gear really isn't my thing. I just identify the dead part and try to replace like with like.

It is intrinsic that they will be switched on and off once per day.

I don't think the village hall committee would like that solution. I confess I am half tempted to try a pair of 3W blue LEDs instead.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The wavelength used by most insects to navigate is actually in the UV just outside our visible range, although insects can see our visible blue, and to a lesser extent, our green too. I suspect the zapper tubes are matched to this spectrum, but an LED won't be. Also, an insect needs to see a large area of light, not a small intense dot. Blue LEDs are a health risk to human eyes, so considering all this, I would not suggest you try using a blue LED.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Modern proverb: "you can catch more flies with chicken than you can with vinegar"?

Reply to
Adam Funk

You just need a 30w iron lump ballast for that. I would also go the electronic route, take 2x CFL 15w ballasts, use one to run each lamp. Glue tiny heatsinks onto the trannies in the ballasts and they should last a very long time.

I found a small bare halogen capsule lamp worked well to attract flies.

NT

Reply to
NT