Removing a door and filling the gap....HOW ?

    #1 My son has just bought his first house and wants to remove a connecting door between two rooms and fill the void. The house is an ex70's council property and the doorway is upstairs. I am assuming that it is a stud and partition wall but I suppoose that it could be breeze block, but unlikely. Am I correct in thinking that the easiest way is.....
remove the existing door and frame. nail/screw in some timber battens across and up/down the space nail on some plasterboard to cover apply a skim of plaster wait and then decorate ?????????????????????
The only bit I am not too sure on is the plastering,,I have tried this in the past but not very good at it. Is there any "all in one, easy to apply, ready mixed, foolproof" plaster product available that I could buy or do I still have to resort to a bucket, water and powder jobbie ?
Ant tips or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Brian
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

Yup! It's called a plasterer! They are worth every penny they charge and a bit more. Bite the bullet.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Last couple I spoke to wanted two grand! So I tought myself...
--
Cheers,

John.

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

Yup sounds good.

There are a good few articles about on how to do it... you may be able to get away with just filling the joins and sanding as if you were dry lining. Have a search in google on this group for some explanations.
--
Cheers,

John.