How can I wood file under a door (without removing the door).

Hi

I have a door that I want to slide a cable beneath.It's a mains power cable, but the door is really close to the floor.

There isn't much room under the door. I can get a thin file under there but then there isn't enough room to get my hand under the file and get a decent grip on the file to file the door.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Reply to
nortilo

Flat strip of steel with the ends bent up to hold, sandpaper, glue.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Assuming the arrangement is permanent, this is not really a good idea. The cable would be easily damaged and could start a fire/be electric shock hazard.

Reply to
harry

You will never get anywhere with anything resembling a file. Drill through the door frame or take the door off and cut it.

TW

Reply to
Tim W

+1 on both counts, I suppose the other possibility is that you could make a slot in the bottom of the door (at either end) and run the cable there, under a suitable protective strip as described by others.

Other option might be to cut a slot in the floorboards, either router or circ saw / chisel, and again cover with protective strip.

Reply to
newshound

Door trimming saw as used by carpet fitters

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

H-h-h-how much, Granville?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It could also void your insurance in the event of a fire. There is a real risk of damage to the cable insulation causing you a lot of grief.

Drilling though the wall at the side of the door behind the hinges just above the skirting board would be a more sensible approach for a permanent connection.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Well, quite! IME, since the cut required is invariably tapered, I prefer my system. Lay door on lengths of 4" x 4", straight-edge, circ saw, job done (assuming hinge screw slots aren't full of paint)

Reply to
stuart noble

I'd certainly not want to put a mains cable under a door in this manner. Can you not run it under the floorboards or through the frame instead? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff