Removal of heatsink compound stain - HELP!

Guess who put a heatsink down on a fabric-covered chair, forgetting that the underside would be liberally buttered in this truly *evil* stuff. What on earth will dissolve it without taking the chair with it?

Please help before she moves the cushion.... or I'm dead meat!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wiibbled of :

White vinegar or meths springs to mind, though do try it on the underside of the chair first to make sure it doesn't make the dye run. Maybe a paste of talc and white vinegar to remove any stain. Or failing that quickly head out and buy a nice loose cover for the chair :)

Reply to
Thor

White spirit will act as a solvent for silicone sealant (before it sets). I don't know how it will act with silicone grease. I'd take it outside, then gently rub in some white spirit to the stain, then suck it off with a wet+dry vacuum cleaner (set to dry). (outside, to cover the very small possibility tha the vac goes on fire.) Repeat several times.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Is it silicone grease or the white zinc heatsink compound?

sPoNiX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Well, it's a white paste, and although it was me that originally applied it, a long time ago, I haven't a clue what it's made of. Does 'white' mean it must be zinc not silicone (and therefore I shouldn't try white spirit?!)

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Zinc oxide is the filler, used with a heavy silicone oil, to make the compound. (other more exotic things may be used.)

However. Unless you've really tried hard, there should be some left on the heatsink. Smear this on another bit of fabric, and try various approaches.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I wouldn't be surprised if white spirit / terps caused the colour to run in the fabric so defiantly try a concealed section first.

There aren't many things that will dissolve silicone effectively. IIRC we used to use DCM (dichloro-methane) will but I have no idea where you can get that neat (it's in paint stripper so you might find it associated with that). You could also try acetone (nail varnish remover) but I doubt that will work - it might be better for the fabric though.

Have you tried just sticking it in the washing machine?

Graham

Reply to
doozer

Heatsink compound isn't silicone grease, it's much more sticky and evil than that!

White spirit is a very good general-purpose solvent. If it doesn't do the trick, it's unlikely anything will. :o(

Jock.

Reply to
Jock.

If it's white then it's heatsink compound. Silicone grease is grey and jelly-like. You're unlikely to find silicone grease on a heatsink these days.

Jock.

Reply to
Jock.

*"Silcoset"* ?
Reply to
NBT

I think it is. It's a very stiff silicone grease, loaded with zinc-oxide (or other heat conductive shimming stuff). Or at least it was in the past, I'm sure I read it on the side of a 20ml tube that the label has now fallen off of.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:05:11 GMT, Lobster wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

Heatsink compound is silicone based, so you need a solvent based stain remover. Something for removing furniture polish should do.

mh.

Reply to
Marcus Houlden

Maplins, A05AQ

Reply to
Christopher Key

The silicone grease I used to use, for high vacuum work, was completely colourless so I presume you could add additives to make it any colour you wanted.

Graham

Jock. wrote:

Reply to
doozer

In message , Lobster writes

Ah, we have a term for this stuff at work. Armpitotropic.

Basically if you use on some device, it very quickly finds its way everywhere. On your trousers, shirt, armpits.

You can see why the thermal pad vendors can charge hideous money for a little square of thermal pad, just to avoid the mess of having to use these thermal greases!

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Silicone heatsink compound is white because it contains metal oxides to help heat transfer.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

The same oxides that used to be used on sticking plaster IIRC.

Anyway a solvent to dissove teh grease and dab it all of. #

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Meths or isopropyl alcohol will dissolve the grease without being too hostile to other things, but you'll need to work hard to get the zinc oxide out. It wasn't used as a pigment for nothing...

Reply to
Joe

In message , Joe writes

The way I read it you have two options;

1) 'Darling, I'm getting tired of our soft furnishings. Let's head out to John Lewis and buy something expensive, come on, it's only money'. 2) Poke your wife's eyes out so she never sees it.

Good luck,

Andy (who was eventually forgiven by his wife for burning a hole in the landing carpet with a 200W light bulb)

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

3) Learn uphoulstery, it's not hard.
Reply to