Rehau windows

Trying to decide which manufacturer to use to replace Victorian sliding sas hes with uvpc. There seem to be more than one "heritage" range with run thr ough sashes, deep bottom rail, and mechanical joints, with Rehau top of the price range but Choices offering similar for less. Anyone been down this r oad? We may yet repair the existing sashes so, please, no preaching :)

not preaching, but there are companies who make wooden sash windows.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 7:46:26 PM UTC+1, charles wrote:

Yep, next door neighbour has had them done in accoya. Factory sprayed white you wouldn't know they weren't plastic. Ironic eh?
On 11/09/2017 19:56, stuart noble wrote:

Generally, the sections are too thick in plastic, so it looks all wrong. I understand that Aluminium can look much better.
If you can reproduce the exact look of the original windows but in a different material, I don't see that it matters.
We have the original victorian windows, so well made sash windows don't half last! Bloody draughty, though, so installed secondary glazing.
GB wrote:

Seems ones exist that are good enough to fool the planners, I expect they're still sniffy about allowing them though :-(
From <https://www.bygonecollection.co.uk/your-home/conservation
An inspector from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, deciding against Macclesfield council, said of a Bygone design: “It appears to replicate a traditional sliding sash window very closely. The effect is so convincing that it is difficult to differentiate between the two, even at close quarters.”
He added: “Unlike many other PVCu imitations which only pay superficial attention to traditional detailing, the mouldings on the frame of the unit, which also extend to the central glazing bars, appear most authentic.”
He concluded that the Bygone windows would actually “preserve or enhance the conservation area”.
=============== A senior planner building his own home [...] wanted a plastic framed window requiring no maintenance or painting. When he looked closely at a sample Bygone window he exclaimed: “I don’t want timber – I want a PVCu sash window.” The product he was looking at was PVCu, but he thought it was wood.
On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 12:09:26 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

s to

ficial

c.”

enhance

Thanks Andy. Bygone appear to be an alternative fabricator with a retailer not far from me, so I'll take a look in their showroom. I don't think there's any doubt that the latest crop of "heritage" pvc wind ows are pretty damned close to the originals, so most of the traditional ob jections to pvc are no longer valid.
stuart noble wrote:

It would be nice if FENSA or similar could get a blanket approval for "conservation grade" windows provided they met a high spec, e.g.
mechanical jointed rather than diagonal welded, foil grained off-white rather than gloss white slim frames/equal sight lines etc

Interesting, Andy. Perhaps they are so good I thought they were original (or good copies in wood) I've no objection to PVC replacements if they look OK.
This Victorian street has many designs of houses. All pretty well on the same sized plots and of the same basic size, but differ in detail. Quite a few have a curved top to the glass to match the curved stone arch above the window. All the PVC replacements don't.
--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

<snip>

The funny thing is that the Victorians didn't suffer for mould and mildew because of poor ventilation. ;-)
We now hermetically seal our houses and then are forced to fit permanent vents to let the draughts and cold air back in?
A while back Mum had her front bays replaced with uPVC and because she still has a wall mounted gas fire, they needed to find out if the room was big enough or it would then need permanent vents fitted (it was).
Apparently the reason was because the old wooden frames were expected to leak slightly whereas the uPVC ones wouldn't.
Are new builds obliged to fit heat exchangers on the general vents and if not why not?
Cheers, T i m

Apart from heat loss through the glass, a sash in good condition isn't that draughty. But after a hundred years plus, tend to be a bit worn. Not too difficult to fit seals, though, without them being obvious. Can be double glazed too.
--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 11:58:26 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wr ote:

Not easy to retrofit DG to sliders. Next door did it, rather cleverly I tho ught, by replacing the old steel sash weights with lead to allow for the ex tra weight of glass. Cost double what a perfect match in upvc would cost th ough, and he still has bits of the old box to maintain.

It's the size of the sides and tops which are the giveaway round here with replacement PVC sash windows. They are larger and look out of proportion.
--
*The statement above is false

charles wrote:

    and idiots trapped in yesteryear who buy them!