Reducing Noise of Air Conditioning Unit

As a retired couple we like to spend time in our tiny garden.

So are not overjoyed to hear our Neighbours Intention to install an air conditioner for their second floor, with the outside unit just metres away from us. Placed at slightly above our head height at the ground level. After time they can grow Noisy.

Is there a type of Noise Reducing/Insulating arrangement they could have fitted to it that you could recommend ?

Reply to
john curzon

There are enclosures that go around it:

Although they are typically bespoke and pricey (~£3k kind of territory). It would be possible to DIY something with foam and timber.

However if it's going to be up in the air then an enclosure would also be needed to cover the underside, not just the sides and top like a ground mounted unit.

So practically it's going to be awkward and of limited effect.

Instead I would be looking at the specs of the unit that's planned to be installed, and see if there some agreement you can come to about regular maintenance - eg if it gets noisy then the bearings are changed.

Will they need planning permission? That may be a path to coming to an agreement.

Noise sensitivity varies, but you may find it's not a problem on a decent modern unit.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I think this is going to become a big problem with air source heat pumps too - they can chuck out quite a bit of noise. I moved recently and factored in the possibility.

They could start by buying a lower noise unit - I'd suggest asking them early on.

Is the installation of these things regulated regarding noise? if not, they should be . . .

Reply to
RJH

Ah - I see John Rumm has discussed this in:

RJH

Yes

Andy Burns

although that's for air source heat pumps ("Used solely for heating purposes").

Some sellers of air con claim PP is not require but that seems far-fetched in most cases. So best for the OP to get the council on the case.

And at least some councils have a policy of requiring people to show they have tried passive means of cooling as well as a noise/vibration appraisal before granting permission. They may apply the same standard as for heat pumps but I don't think they have to.

Reply to
Robin

Well the installation is only in terms of distance. There are regulations on the noise generated by external units. Most seem to be

60dba which I would say is loud, but permissable.

What a rat hole that is. As far as I know all air-2-air heat-pumps can cool and heat. How do you enforce it ?

If its the installation is for heating then its OK.

We are being encouraged to install heatpumps. The are currently VAT free.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Andy's link suggests permitted development rights for ASHPs requires compliance with MCS 020 or equivalent. MCS 020 requires a calculation of the "development noise" at neighbouring doors/windows. The limit for that is 42dbA.

Check with your council. Some at least think that permission is required for air conditioning units.

If it is /only/ for heating. An unit installed so it can run either way ain't.

But I'm not aware we are being encouraged to instal air con.

AFAIK the government decided /not/ to go ahead with the permitted development rights for air con they floated in their consultation document in 2009 - in contrast with the rights for ASHPs they consulted on around then and introduced in 2011.

Reply to
Robin

I just noticed what I think is an error in there. It states that one of the conditions for not needing planning permission is that the outside unit is not installed "on a roof (on the ground)", but the rules seem to state that is should not be "on a pitched roof" or "within 1m of the edge of a flat roof".

I have been wondering whether to install aircon (especially as my wife has health conditions that make heat a problem and I have a skin condition that does the same) and the logical place would be on the flat (solid) section of our conservatory, before the translucent section starts. I can easily get power to there and the pipes would only need to go through wall at a slight angle to come into the living room near the ceiling and also run vertically up the wall and through to be near the ceiling in the main bedroom too. It looks like that may be fine.

I may never do it though. Every year when we get the got weather, I think about it, but then it cools off again and I never get around to it.

Reply to
SteveW

At least some of the air source heat pumps can work both ways and have just been trivially nobbled to make them heat only.

Reply to
SteveW

One assumes they are basically a large fan then. I'd have thought that they could have had it located somewhere out of the way. In many areas ventilation and air conditioning needs planning permission precisely because of noise to neighbours. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

1) for many air2air heat pumps are the best (lowest cost) solutions. Other types are still expensive to install even after grants, although I feel some installers are profiteering from the installation grants. 2) all air2air heat pumps will run in both directions so can heat and cool. 3) They are all VAT free => surley thats an encouragement.

But for air2air its purely a matter of marketing. All modern aircon is an air2air heat pump and counts as towards your energy efficiency. Thats an encouragement.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

The problem is disposal of condensation from the cold surfaces. Indoor split units have condensate drains.

Reply to
John J

Most of the outdoor split units can easily mount on walls

Reply to
John J