Recommended Architect

Very elderly lady known to us, but not living nearby; has a problem with rain water draining through an outside balcony down into the persons flat below hers.

Shes not up to dealing with the matter herself, so we thought that perhaps she should employ an architect to oversea any building work done? We think it probably needs someone 'independent' of the person doing any work to keep an eye on what's going on.

What would be the best way to find an architect or someone who could reliably supervise the work? Preferably one that comes somehow recommended? Thanks.

Reply to
john east

Get advice from her nearest Age UK branch?

Reply to
Oliver

I'd probably go for a structural engineer - they're more used to dealing with trades. But it's really something a decent roofer should be able to do without supervision - which you'll have to pay quite a bit extra for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What part of the world?

I can recommend a good one in the New Forest area but that's only useful if it's the right place!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

It might be worth checking this site:-

Reply to
wtwjgc (Joe) on laptop

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:45:49 -0000, john east, expounded this theory:

A structural surveyor should be the first port of call. Or a local long established builder. This isn't really a job for an architect.

Reply to
Graham

You don't want an Architect, useless wannabe artists.

You need to find a good reliable builder/roofer. Finding one will be harder than finding an architect, but that is what you need to get the job done.

Reply to
djc

yes..id go that route, structural engineer to establish what needs doing, and then maybe a recommended architect to exactly specify what needs doing and then the builder.

If you follow recommendations it might not be the cheapest, but it should be a decent no nonsense job.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Finding a good honest builder/roofer can be difficult.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"john east" wrote: [snip]

An architect nowadays is someone who has gone to art school and can draw pretty pictures. They're not much use for practical applications. As others have said you just need a competent tradesman or an engineer to specify the work and supervise the tradesman. If you engage an architect you will get architect+engineer+tradesman and have to pay all their fees, of which the architect's will be most expensive.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes. Although a good local architect may have a decent working relationship with a local builder or two. Older ones used to the area might understand the types of houses as well. But both 'maybes'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Home Improvement Trust work in conjunction with local councils and tradesmen to oversee repair works for older people, and can advise on finance (although they also assist if the client is self-financing the work)

Owain