Sad but smug (hand sanitiser)

Due to my wife being ill, a lot,(she has now passed, hence the sad) . We have bottles and bottles of hand sanitiser (none in shops hence smug)

I had to clean her up etc many times a day so we had LOTS and LOTS of sanitiser( between bottles, pump bottles etc almost a gallon of the stuff). When she passed I didn't have the heart to throw it out. Glad I didn't as it now seems the thing to have .

Still can't get my head around this toilet paper thing though.

Reply to
soup

I am sure a person like yourself would be prepared to share some of that with neighbours in need.

I am amazed at how many people on a local FB page I use have offered to do shopping for other people. And no I do not expect these people to a cause a massive spike in CC fraud:-)

Anyway you would never ask old person for their PIN number even if you had their CC. It's just as easy to ask how old they are, do some simple maths and it's 50/50 if will get it right on the first second go at the ATM.

Reply to
ARW

the first or second go at the

or was missing.

Reply to
ARW

Sincere commiserations. I lost mine almost two years ago; still missing her very much. Like you, lots of medical stuff left over, but different to yours. Not thrown it out either. It's slowly getting used.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

There's absolutely no need to feel smug. The hand sanitiser is a just reward for all the hours you spent caring for your wife; without getting too soppy about it, its her present to you.

Few if any of the people without sanitiser have earned it is the way you have earned yours, so don't give it a second thought.

michael adams

michael adams

Lost mine about the same time and plus one to soup and Mr Hogg. I know the pain. The bed side cabinet was like a chemist's shop. I'd little idea what the medication was, so I binned the lot. Cancer of course. Have to say that the staff at the hospital were magnificent.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

+1
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

when my fatehr died, I put all his unused medicines into a large plastic bag and took them to his GP's premises. I didn't want to bin them in case theer could be problems

Reply to
charles

A mate ended up (from his long term ill Mrs) with a load of syringes that had passed their use by date that he couldn't just bring himself to throw away. It took a bit on convincing but the local veterinary training college took them, followed some weeks later by a load of syringe needles. I think he may have also given them some dressings, given that much of such medical equipment would work on most mammals and unlike some medicines, wouldn't really be an issue to use, even out of date.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, people are trying to help each other.

We checked with a few elderly neighbours the other day - but they've already got family to look out for them. Today a "flyer" was posted through each door down the road as someone half-way down was offering to collect and deliver food orders, prescriptions or whatever.

A couple of our neighbours were ripped off by another (who actually works as a carer) a couple of years ago. She was charging £10 a time to do shopping, while doing her own anyway; £10 for a lift to the library to get a blue badge or the like - when a taxi would have been less than £2.50 each way; £20 for a lift to and from another neighbour's funeral, when she was attending herself. She was eventually dropped by them, when it turned out she'd been putting some of her own shopping through on their bill!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker
<snip>

Tonight, Daughter put a note under the door of the elderly lady living in the other flat on her landing, offering to help in any way she can.

We 'keep an eye' on the old lady opposite here (the Mrs often goes in and chats with her) but given the Mrs has just turned 70 herself, should be keeping that in mind. [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] A mate had a carer come in to care for his Mrs (inc changing a dressing) and he saw her just running her hands under the cold tap for a few seconds. Long short, he explained to her what she should have done, especially under the current circumstances insisting that if she didn't, he would ask her to leave. She then washed her hands properly.
Reply to
T i m

Another (not so near) neighbour has just leafleted the road as well.

Yes, we have a number of elderly neighbours that we try to help out, as we have an odd mix of housing - we are the last in a row of semis, followed by and opposite bungalows, before more semis, more bungalows and then semis for the rest of the road.

We need to be a bit careful ourselves though, as my wife (55) has asthma and is on medications that suppress her immune system due to an auto-immune disease. Seven visits to GPs/Hospital clinics and A&E (pre-arranged GP medication review, asthma clinic, multiple visits due to kidney stones and related infections and finally urology) in 14 days is not a good recipe for keeping away from infection though!

When my wife was nursing, after going to the toilets she always washed her hands, dried them with a paper towel, turned the tap off with a towel and used another one to open all the doors back to her workplace, as she had witnessed so many staff not washing their hands at all.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

This man has hs own troubles ....

"The Man With 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer Just Donated Them"

"A Tennessee man had planned to sell his stockpile at marked-up prices online. Now he is under investigation for price gouging."

Pamela

Not got any. AFAIK All healthy people around here, lots of cars, no oldies etc etc . Well not no oldies, next door is in her 70s, but one son lives with her, an other visits regularly,she drives and is quite involved in local politics . She appears more spry than I. Do you think she would go to the shops for me? :O)

There are three 'single occupancy' houses (was OAP housing) opposite but even they have been sold to youngsters as a first house (had been bought from the council, when buying your council house was a thing, the tenants died and the family sold the house on) one even has a couple in it . Never been inside to see how cramped it is (if indeed it is, can't imagine a couple taking up much more room than a single person).

Reply to
soup

If you have any local food banks, give it to them, or any of the national charity shops. They'll know how to distribute it.

Reply to
Andrew

I read (true or not I don't know) that the toiler paper craze started in Australia. It seems Australia doesn't have an on shore paper industry and it is all imported (mostly from China).

Hence you can perhaps understand worries in Australia. Quite why it spread around the world is presumably just down to human stupidity.

Reply to
Chris B