SAD lights?

Anyone got any experience, or made one?
Changes in my dog pack mean they gradually have needed less walking over the past couple of years and I had assumed my declining energy levels were just ageing. But for other reasons I have been up and outdoors for the sunrise and the next couple of hours for the past week. I expected to have to compensate at the other end of the day, but havn't needed to. It's also highlighted how my energy levels are up compared to my (younger) wife, so I am wondering if she would benefit from a SAD light.
On 26/11/2017 15:56, newshound wrote:

I really like them at this time of year. It cheers me up, as I hate the short days.
I bought a rather expensive one many years ago, but I see no reason why you need anything more than a daylight temperature LED light that is VERY bright.
On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 15:56:51 +0000, newshound
I made one for a friend some years ago out of 10 6ft daylight tri phosphor tubes each with an output of about 6000 Lumens and a colour temperature of about 6500degK. They were simply mounted on two hinged boards on the garage wall so they could fold flat when not needed. In use they were opened to 90deg and the victim sat between them.
The choice of the number of tubes was highly scientific - I had 10 fittings and tubes left over from another project. The colour temperature was chosen to be towards the blue end of the spectrum although why I can't recall.
The person they were made for still uses them and claims they work - but we also put a bench under them to give them a large amount of light onto what was now also their model making table so I'm not sure if it was the light or the vastly improved model making environment which makes them feel better!
On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 4:59:54 PM UTC, Peter Parry wrote:

a friend has just put led panels into his shed, I forget the lumens, it could be 2000, but he is spending less on electricity, and he thinks it may be as good as the sad light he has.
On 26/11/2017 16:59, Peter Parry wrote:

Surely staring at a computer screen to keep up to date with uk-d-i-y is as good as any other solution.?
On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 18:03:40 +0000, Andrew wrote:

Is there a program that displays the correct light on a nice big computer screen? :)
On Sunday, 26 November 2017 18:29:36 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

There's an app for that
https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/s-a-d-seasonal-affective-disorder-alarm-light/id793723042?mt=8
Owain

The multi color hue bulbs would do that much better and would be a lot brighter. (Amazon.com product link shortened)11728936&sr=1-7&keywords=hue
On 26 Nov 2017 18:29:33 GMT

I don't think the precise spectral content of the light matters as long as it's well bright and whitish.
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 14:14:36 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

No it is the exact spectral content that is important, that;s one reason why they were expensive as you needed blue light which wasnlt easy to 'make'.
What you really need is full spectrum SAD.
http://www.sad.org.uk/buying-a-sad-light/
Semi-SAD or just a bit MOPPY won't do it ;-)
On 28/11/2017 16:01, whisky-dave wrote:

That is what the vendors would have you believe and to some extent it is true but the LED technology is to make blue light very efficiently and use it to excite a broadband yellow phosphor for a white. It is trivial to mix in extra blue LED during build (just as it is trivial to omit green LEDs in magenta arrays intended for horticulture).
Fish tank people have a range of choices.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/media/PDF/ColorSpectrumGuideFW.pdf

Bright enough and bluish will be good enough.
Conversely if you use a computer late at night having the colour temperature go lower after dusk will make it easier to sleep.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 16:34:50 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:

But you do need that 'special Blue' LED normal blue LEDs just don't produce the correct wavelengh at sufficinet brightness. Things are better now but a friend of mine was seeing a specialst at a hospital near trafalgar square and was having SAD sessions in the mid 90s.
It is trivial

But you still need the correct one, not just any blue will do.
Not sure how valid this is but.
http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/house-garden/lighting/best-sad -lamps-light-therapy-seasonal-affective-disorder-lumie-how-to-treat-a683910 6.html

FISH TANK PEOPLE ! I think you mean Aquarists.
I had 3 'tanks' in the ealry 90s. Thre wasntl one light that wass the best for everything, some lighting was to show off the fish others for the plants.

Depends how bad your SAD symptoms are.

I think that depends more on what you are looking at ;-) and it certainly isn't the answer if your interested in photography.

At least according to Philips (I haven't checked their primarys sources thought they do reference them) you can get away with a significantly less bright light if it is in the blue region (not precisely sure how far). If you ever want to set up such a system it is well worth looking up, as white light does have to be really very bright indeed to work.
--

Roger Hayter

There is evidence (claimed by Philips but not assessed by me) that if you use *just* the blue end of the spectrum a much lower brighness is effective. But it would be worth looking out the evidence, and the exact spectrum used, before trying to duplicate a relatively low intensity light for the purpose.
--

Roger Hayter

Seems a rather "techy" solution to a problem that might be solved by just getting out more. A "Fitbit" or similar step counter might just provide a bit of extra incentive.
Tim
On 26/11/2017 17:51, Tim+ wrote:

Very fair point, she has a fitbit but I suspect men may find them more motivating than women.
But if I can get the right light level and colour temperature in her sewing room (which already has reasonably bright lighting) I can see if that makes a difference without actually having to change lifestyle.
For myself, I used to walk dogs mainly in woodland but I am wondering if I should shift to open commons.
On 27/11/2017 15:28, newshound wrote:

Yes, if it's not too cold.
On 27/11/2017 15:28, newshound wrote:

So, maybe conservatories should always be tacked onto a North facing wall to benefit from North light. ?.
But then she'll be freezing cold. I wonder how life models managed years ago in purpose built art studios with single glazing ?.

I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my
attitude, that's your problem.

They were cold.