SAD lights?

Anyone got any experience, or made one?

Changes in my dog pack mean they gradually have needed less walking over the past couple of years and I had assumed my declining energy levels were just ageing. But for other reasons I have been up and outdoors for the sunrise and the next couple of hours for the past week. I expected to have to compensate at the other end of the day, but havn't needed to. It's also highlighted how my energy levels are up compared to my (younger) wife, so I am wondering if she would benefit from a SAD light.

Reply to
newshound

I really like them at this time of year. It cheers me up, as I hate the short days.

I bought a rather expensive one many years ago, but I see no reason why you need anything more than a daylight temperature LED light that is VERY bright.

Reply to
GB

I made one for a friend some years ago out of 10 6ft daylight tri phosphor tubes each with an output of about 6000 Lumens and a colour temperature of about 6500degK. They were simply mounted on two hinged boards on the garage wall so they could fold flat when not needed. In use they were opened to 90deg and the victim sat between them.

The choice of the number of tubes was highly scientific - I had 10 fittings and tubes left over from another project. The colour temperature was chosen to be towards the blue end of the spectrum although why I can't recall.

The person they were made for still uses them and claims they work - but we also put a bench under them to give them a large amount of light onto what was now also their model making table so I'm not sure if it was the light or the vastly improved model making environment which makes them feel better!

Reply to
Peter Parry

a friend has just put led panels into his shed, I forget the lumens, it could be 2000, but he is spending less on electricity, and he thinks it may be as good as the sad light he has.

Reply to
misterroy

Seems a rather "techy" solution to a problem that might be solved by just getting out more. A "Fitbit" or similar step counter might just provide a bit of extra incentive.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Subjectively they work for me. Can't help with design, I use a Philips blue light one.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Surely staring at a computer screen to keep up to date with uk-d-i-y is as good as any other solution.?

Reply to
Andrew

There is evidence (claimed by Philips but not assessed by me) that if you use *just* the blue end of the spectrum a much lower brighness is effective. But it would be worth looking out the evidence, and the exact spectrum used, before trying to duplicate a relatively low intensity light for the purpose.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Is there a program that displays the correct light on a nice big computer screen? :)

Reply to
Bob Eager

There's an app for that

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'm not so sure energy is going to change. Its normally mood that light helps out. Its exercise and brain use that help with energy levels as well as when and what you eat. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Very fair point, she has a fitbit but I suspect men may find them more motivating than women.

But if I can get the right light level and colour temperature in her sewing room (which already has reasonably bright lighting) I can see if that makes a difference without actually having to change lifestyle.

For myself, I used to walk dogs mainly in woodland but I am wondering if I should shift to open commons.

Reply to
newshound

Yes, if it's not too cold.

Reply to
GB

So, maybe conservatories should always be tacked onto a North facing wall to benefit from North light. ?.

But then she'll be freezing cold. I wonder how life models managed years ago in purpose built art studios with single glazing ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
Huge

They were cold.

Reply to
Huge

Gin and goose grease, probably.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

But at least the nipples stood out.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I doubt the life models worried that much, it was the arists that worry about colour temerature not the subjects.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I don't think the precise spectral content of the light matters as long as it's well bright and whitish.

Reply to
Rob Morley