DIY hand sanitiser wipes

FWIW

As the local supermarkets etc have completely run out of anything remotely resembling hand sanitisers of any sort, I had a look at the claims for a bottle of disinfectant I've had for a year or two - Zoflora*. It claimed to be effective against bacteria and many viruses. I e-mailed them and asked if they knew whether it was effective against this COVID-19 coronavirus. They replied that while it was effective against other strains of coronavirus, they didn't yet know whether it killed COVID-19, but quite possibly it did.

I also noted that Zoflora was supposedly highly inflammable, and to keep it away from naked flames etc. This suggested to me that it was probably alcohol based, another anti-viral.

So I got a microfibre cloth, the sort often used as a washing-up cloth or for wiping down kitchen and bathroom surfaces, and soaked it in Zoflora, and I keep it in a ziploc bag to stop it drying out. On returning after every trip to shops etc. I wipe my hands thoroughly with the cloth, and also any door handles I may have touched on the way back into the bungalow. After a few minutes, I then use a moisturising cream on my hands to stop them getting too dry and the skin cracking.

I'm not dead yet, in case anyone's wondering.

  • I have no connection with Zoflora.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

There are mixed reports about the effectivenes of benzalkonium chloride (the active ingredient in Zoflora and many other disinfectants) against coronavirus. At one concentration it was ineffective but a lower concentration was more effective. Currently it's not being recommended.

"Data obtained with benzalkonium chloride at reasonable contact times were conflicting. Within 10 min a concentration of 0.2% revealed no efficacy against coronavirus whereas a concentration of 0.05% was more effective. In contrast, 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate was basically ineffective."

Reference given to original article: "Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents"

Pamela

Yes, I was aware that benzalkonium chloride wasn't very effective, which is why I'd not bothered with any of the conventional 'handwashes' available. But if Zoflora is inflammable, it suggested to me at least that it had a high alcohol content and might be effective for that reason, with any effect due to benzalkonium chloride being a bonus. Neat Zoflora certainly dries the skin. If it wasn't for the pyridine in meths, whose smell I don't like, I'd happily use it in place of Zoflora. Handwashing is not ruled out.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

MSDS says

Ethanol 65-75%

Benzalkonium chloride <3%

Methanol <3%

Plus various pongs/oils depending what 'flavour' zoflora you have ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah, so I was right, it is mostly alcohol.

With ice and lemon?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

There are lots of things that can disinfect, bleach included. Those that think sanitiser is hard to find just don't know a lot about bug killing chemicals.

Be aware that some skins are very bleach tolerant, some aren't. I suspect it's generally very dry skin that isn't, but not sure.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I found it simpler to order a pack of medical grade hand wipes online. They don't yet seem to be in such demand.

Reply to
nightjar

I'm very fortunate as my hands seem to be tolerant to most things except caustic. Acetone, ammonia, turps polyester resin, engine oil, paint , meths, I'm never in a mad rush to get them off.

And in any case if your hands were all sore there'd be less temptation to scratch your face with them

michael adams

michael adams

Until you become sensitized to one of them.

Reply to
Richard

Wow! You've actually used it in anger?

Reply to
Richard

You've tested it?

Reply to
Brian Reay

This may be of interest:

Richard

Well yes, but then should it happen, I'll take the appropriate measures obviously.

Oh and there was one I forgot, printer ink. Only to point out how surprisngly quickly it wears off of your hands of its own accord, after only a further couple of hand washings.

Or maybe I've just got highly resistant skin,

michael adams

michael adams

Google to see test outcomes. It's also covered in the WHO's "Laboratory Biosafety Guidance Related to Coronavirus Disease 2019".

Reply to
Pamela

I gave the finding of published research. Some labs found an even lower concentration of 0.5% was sufficient.

Reply to
Pamela

Were they hairdressers as well?

;-)

You should speak to Spike, he?ll get you a job ?consulting? for the government.

Reply to
Brian Reay