Recomend an adhesive to fix a fibreglass item to a tiled surface?

Hi.

Our new bathroom has a corner bath that has a matching shower curtain canopy. However, the canopy seems to be designed to be fitted

*hanging from* the ceiling. Our bathroom is quite small and we need it to be flush *to* the ceiling.

So what you say? The problem is the only way to screw it to the walls needs me to get my hands inside the canopy to do up the screws. But with it flush to the ceiling there is no way of getting inside to do so.

Cutting access holes is out. That leaves externaly applied adhesives (or some sort of hidden fitting which is externally accessableI don't know about). It has to be fitted to the walls at both ends against tiles. There is a hanger in the middle that won't be a problem though.

So; what adhesive will grip, in a hot wet enviroment, a fibreglass canopy, take a reasonable amount of weight, and stay safely in place? For ever.

I've used nomorenails in the past for a shelf in a shower area, but it came off after about 6 months. That doesn't give me much confidence but hey, Someone Who Knows will I hope be along very soon!

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

I've had good results with fibreglass. You get a bit of fiberglass and resin

are one supplier), take a abrasive wheel on an angle grinder, and abrade down until you get to the glass fibers.

Now, you laminate on a new layer of fiberglass, and then follow it up with a gelcoat with pigment and wax added. Colour matching of course is fun, I haven't done this with a critical cosmetic item.

Punching holes into the existing layer will allow even better adhesion if you poke the fiberglass in.

(the wax floats to the top, and makes the gelcoat set hard which it won't as moisture inhibits the cure in all but the dryest enviroments.)

However, this can be as strong as the existing fiberglass, or even stronger as it can be a bit thicker.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Car body filler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Mike Barnard writes >So; what adhesive will grip, in a hot wet enviroment, a fibreglass >canopy, take a reasonable amount of weight, and stay safely in place? >For ever.

An epoxy adhesive e.g. Araldite will probably do the trick. Araldite has enormous strength and is waterproof. It's brittle though, so doesn't work as well where there is much flexing on the surfaces being glued.

Reply to
Sapient Fridge

Have you got access to the ceiling from above? If so could you bolt the canopy through the ceiling rather than attaching it to the walls?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thats an option, thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Another one I hadn't thought of. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Did think about this but have no idea about the water resistance. Shouldn't flex, so an option.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Yes I have and I need to go up there anyway to install a pair of shower lights. Hmmm, this sounds the best of the lot so far because it can be easily removed for maintainence if needed.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Try Sikaflex 221 on _clean_ surfaces.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks,but job done now. Used hot glue gun (maker reccomendation) to add some braces inside the canopy then screwed down into them through noggins in the roof space.

It was so obvious, really.

Reply to
Mike Barnard