Microwave mystery

I have a new microwave. A Sharp R-895M. It's one with convector, top and bottom grill as well as MW.

Doing a baked potato, exactly as per the book. The spud goes on the small metal tray.

I heard a funny noise and smell. The spud was arcing quite spectacularly as it cooked. When finished it was charcoal where it had touched the wire tray.

Rang Sharp and spent an age getting to the right bod." It's the "eyes" on the potato" he says. You must remove the "eyes" before you cook it.

????

Reply to
EricP

That sounds like similar model to mine (can't recall number). I don't think you are supposed to use the wire trays/supports in the oven when using it as a microwave, or at least, I never have.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

EricP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Exactly the same happened to me; I can't remember the make, it may have been sharp.

I'd benn trained never to put metal in the micro, reinforced by a plate that I never realised had a gold foil ring round the rim - nasty.

I phoned in, and they said it was conductive chemicamical stuff in the skin and to try a new position, or put it on a plate

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Andrew Gabriel explained :

Putting metal in the microwave is not a problem if the metal is either well connected to other metal items or well insulated from them. The inside casing is after all metal as is the tray upon which the food rotates.

Put one spoon in a glass dish full of water... no problem. Put two loose spoons in the same dish and they would cause arcing.

If you are cooking on a metal tray the tray should be insulated from the metal, as simply resting it on the metal of the cabinet would not provide an adequate connection and it would arc.

You should avoid putting metallised items in, such as gold rimmed cups.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember EricP saying something like:

Sounds like bilge. On a related note; my cheapy microwave has started the lovely habit of arcing across the centre boss of the turntable. A heartwarming smell of burning plastic fills the kitchen now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

On mine the (mica?) window where the tinywaves come in has started to cause arcs. I'll try taking it out and cleaing it butif anyone has any better suggestions....

Reply to
Malc

Get thee to

out your credit card, and pay a pound or two for a new one.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

may be toxic. Remove all traces of carbon to stop it.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton