My microwave (late GE model) for some reason did not shut off via the
"popcorn" setting and totally burned a bag of microwave popcorn. The burned
smell is overwhelming. The oven still seems to work OK. Any hints on
getting the burned smell out? Is the oven likely damaged in any way?
the oven is not likely to be damaged .
Try wiping the inside with a little dishwashing soap and leave a dish
of baking soda in it when not in use.
Check the popcorn setting , it may be too much time for the
On 14 Feb 2007 14:27:23 -0800, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Baking soda and water to wipe down the oven was my thought. Maybe even
Vinegar to set in a cup over night or boil a couple table spoons a two
cups of water.
I like to listen to the kernels pop; down the last few, before they
burn. I tried our oven preset popcorn setting, but stick with my
"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
Don't know about getting rid of the odor, but a rule-of-thumb I've
heard is: when there is more than 1 second elapsed between individual
kernels popping, it's time to stop the microwave. You can use this to
test whether your oven's "popcorn" setting runs too long.
I don't know about the smell, but using the popcorn setting is ridiculous.
Too many variables between brands & sizes. The popcorn instructions say to
listen for a certain amount of time between kernels popping. How do you
think the microwave oven does this? Little microphones? Detecting steam?
Ha ha funny. Try reading the instructions on the box and staying near the
microwave oven for the 2-3 minutes it takes out of your busy life.
Except this: Listen to it, and when you don't hear a kernel pop within one
second there at the end, hit STOP. Other than that, as you have stated,
you have an equation with nine variables, thus infinite permutations.
I don't know about you, but microwave ovens have the most ambiguous settings
of any appliance I can think of. Power levels. Defrost settings. A
variety of popcorn settings.
How many times have you put something in there, and it came out uncooked,
unheated, or burnt? For me, lots of times.
You have to taste it to see how hot it is. You have to cook it more.
Microwaves are just a guessing game to me. Settings don't mean jack.
Wow. I've tried calibrating mine according to the instructions on
other foods, and it is usually right on the money, or sometimes 10
seconds slow. On 180 seconds that would be 18 seconds. Yet I usually
go 3:45, and when I don't stop it until 4:00, I don't set any bags on
I guess I should look in the back for the wattage rating. I'm
schedul;ed to replace the counter in the next 3 months so maybe I'll
remember to do that. Too lazy to move it now. :)
Here's what works for me to get rid of the smell. I put a thick (1/2
inch) slice of lemon on a plate and heat for 30 to 45 seconds. The
lemon's oil boils and it seems to get rid of the popcorn smell.
Too funny. I discovered that you can actually set a bag of microwave
popcorn on fire by cooking it too long. It helps, of course, when you open
the door and the oxygen hits the smoldering bag. It took about a month for
the smell to go out of the apartment, and it never did leave the microwave,
so I used it outside at the barbecue area. The smoke was so dense you
couldn't see anything above belt buckle high.
Here I go carrying a flaming bag of popcorn through the kitchen and out the
back door, barely being able to see where I was going. The dog was going
If you've never done it, try it. IIRC, the proper setting was 1:50, and I
set it to 2:50, having momentary cerebral flatulence.
I remember the "whump!" sound when the air hit it, and it burst into flames.
Wow. Moderately burnt popcorn is of course good in itself. I still
also buy popcorn in a big bag, and use the same Jiffy-Pop popper we've
used for about 45 to 50 years. It's a pot with a lid, and a crank
with a handle on top, thick wire going through the middle from top to
bottom, where the wire bends to horizontal, into a sweep that keeps
the corn from staying in one place on the bottom. But if I ignor that,
I can still burn the popcorn.
We also used to use a campfire burner over a gas stove, and burnt part
of that, and over a campfire, where it is very hard to avoid burning.
But it's good. We're carbon-based, right? A little pure carbon
should be good for us.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.