Rebuilding a chimney with no experience

If the chimney is in a very bad way, you might well find it's cheaper to remove it and fit a suitable metal replacement which will outperform a masonry one. It will also need to be lined even if you don't replace it, liners are expensive. Do not use it as it is, it could be leaking deadly carbon monoxide into the house.

In my last two houses, I removed all the brick chimneys and put in metal, also gaining a lot of space.

Reply to
harry

Especially if they rely on temporary Labour on a day rate, in which case they might prefer to remove scaffolding and re-erect at the next site on the same day by the same people.

Reply to
Andrew

You don't need such a big yard, either.

Reply to
charles

I'm not going to use convoluted expressions just to satisfy a few nutters. People should simply accept that in some contexts 'he' isn't gender-specific.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That's kind of how I thought it worked, you were paying for their employees and vehicles, while providing them with free storage of their tubes :-)

But this seems to say different, £750+ per week for a semi?

Andy Burns

You might also find that some sort of approval (building regs.) is required - whether before anything is done, during the work, or on completion.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

In 2018/9 I and both my neighbours had scaffolding up at the front of a terrace house (3 stages), at different times. Cost was around £350 (inclusive) and it was up for a period of 7 to 12 weeks with no extra charges. 2 to 4 of these weeks was after requesting that is was removed.

Reply to
alan_m