Re: www.ukdamp.co.uk/

> >Has anybody had a damp survey done by this company? > > Much of what the say is sensible. > > However, > > " Our fees for surveying a property and providing a report range from > £250 to £595, depending on the duration and complexity of the survey, > and usually result in no remedial work being required " > > What is "usually"? If it was 98% of the time I'd use them, if it was > 51% I wouldn't. > > Moreover, > > " If remedial works are required we will submit a fixed price > quotation for the work and if the work is subsequently carried out by > ourselves the survey fee will be deducted from the final invoice." > > This rules them out from consideration. Obviously any firm offering > a "free" survey is going to find work to be done, pitching for work > after a survey isn't that far removed. If I was wanting a survey > done it would be by an independent qualified surveyor whose > involvement finished with the production of the report. > > All that said, "damp" is simple. Clear away all the plants, soil and > rubbish from the walls and repair the gutters and downpipes and most > cases go away by themselves. > > -- > Peter Parry. >
I agree entirely with your post - when we were moving house, one of

the conditions was that we had to have a damp survey carried out - we didn't have to act upon their recommendations though.

So, I went with the only firm that offered a free survey on a house you didn't own, and that was available before the bank holiday. I fully expected them to come back claiming the whole house was dissolving or similar.

A large, 20 page booklet dropped through the door 2 days later. To my absolute surprise, they said the property was fine and that the only thing I might want to do is buy some woodworm killer as they saw some holes in a beam, but that they didn't think it was active.

Can't always assume that they're out to make a quick buck!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

So who were they? Seems fair to give them a plug....

Darren - assuming that the house was indeed fine and hasn't now dissolved :)

Reply to
dmc

"Peter Parry" wrote | If I was wanting a survey done it would be by an independent | qualified surveyor whose involvement finished with the | production of the report.

If any work was required, it might be wise - particularly for someone not knowledgeable about such things - to make it a condition that the work was approved as being satisfactory by your surveyor before paying the builder.

Owain

Reply to
Owain