Evaporative Coolers/Fans etc..?

> > >Now I'll offer my favoured system.

All I did to get upto 10C was put a 12" deskfan by an open window, with a 2nd sash open for through draught. It was basically test setup no 1. There was no attic venting there, and no automated control... do it all properly for a better result. Note 10C was the max drop I got,

6C was more typical, just from that one measure.
The idea of a sash window (the Georgians had them up to the ceiling) is that > when both halves are opened, hot air in the room rises to the ceiling and > floats out of the window with cooler outside air coming in the bottom.

indeed - but that can be improved on. That original approach equalises mid air indoor temp to outdor temp. Tops only approach equalises top indoor air to outdoor air, thus giving you another 1-2C of benefit.

If the "earth tube" is slanting away from the house and the house is on an > incline condensation runs out.

if.... Even on a steep slope it wont all run out.

As with the earth tube, controls need to be in place to detect whether it is > worth drawing in outside air either for heating or cooling.

One thing I found was proper control makes a big difference.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

It will eventually. Gravity takes over.

Condensation in earth tubes is exaggerated. If there is air moving at a decent rate inside the tube, the likelihood of condensation occurring is negligible. Any condensation occurs mainly on the section near the air inlet to the tube. Having perforated tube at this point will drain away any condensation away to earth, if it ever forms in the first place.

If you have a "U" shaped tube length, down, along and up into the house, the first bend at the first downward section maybe could be perforated. The horizontal section could slope to this bend which is accessible from the surface by cleaning rods. A small surface mounted pump could take away any water that accumulates there. Not rocket science and a great benefit using the tube.

In the UK you would probably find that the tube would give a constant 12-15C out of the tube, which is ideal for cooling in summer. In winter if 10C air is coming out of the tube this may be 10C higher than the ambient air temperature. This piped into an air to air heat recovery heat exchanger would make the whole system more efficient. If 22C is being exhausted from the house, the 10C inlet air will be raised substantially and any in-line duct heating battery will only require raising the inlet air a few degrees. For most of the year let air, combined with the heat recovery heat exchanger will probably deliver an air temperature that requires no purchased energy to run.

An earth tube should have insulation over it and earth over that. It needs to take its heat from the earth below which has a more stable temperature, that the earth above which is influenced more from the ambient air.

The air system has to be thought out properly.

Reply to
IMM