Re: OT - 110V Ignition transformer rqd

Having custom transformers made isn't as expensive as you might think. You'll have to do some searching to see if there is a suitable firm close to you. Try a motor re-winder - they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Will

> writes >>Hi all, >> >> Apologies in advance for the ot post, but I expect someone on >>here will be able to help... >> >> I need to purchase asap a 110V primary ignition transformer, to >>light the pilot lamp on a friend's grain dryer. > >Does it purely ignite the pilot, or is it used as part of the flame >sense circuitry ? > >> >> The dryer is of American manufacture - though they are no longer >>trading - so all of the controls are at 110V. I could run a separate >>230V feed to the igniter, or use a 2:1 step-up transformer in front of >>a standard ignition transformer, > >Only if it's a simple HT transformer > >>though said friend would prefer to >>keep as is. >> >> Anyone got a source for such a thing? >> > >Well, there are 110 volt systems in this country, but not that many, >Satronic, Landis and Gyr (or Landis & Staefer) and other manufacturers >make controllers - they tend to be for oil systems. > >HRPC (outlets all over the country), Hilton heating (01954 211867), >Powred (01179 414060) or MJT controls (01179 637142) might get you >started in your quest grasshopper

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your response, the transformer is purely for ignition, the dryer has a separate "flame out" detector. I did finally find a suitable unit, albeit that it cost in excess of 100GBP. I looked into a step-up transformer from City Electrical, they came back with a price in excess of 100GBP +VAT for a 200VA unit, which made it a non starter.

I'll save the info that you quoted for future reference.

Reply to
Will