Evap coolers

Any idea how much a "pad" and "pump" would cost....big thing on the roof. I was told $150 for the pad and $139 for the pump HD has pumps for under $40 and pads under $40

Terry

Reply to
Terry Cano

Big thing on the roof? Geeeez....you have to have more information than that, since if you have a MAsterCool unit, with the larger 12 inch pad, $150 would be cheap. Depending on the model, 139 could be high, or cheap as hell for the pump.

You didnt give enough information...

Home Depot has AC units for $77 too, that does not mean that you can put one in to replace a $10,000 8 ton unit either. And I KNOW that HD does not have the MC2 unit pads for under $40....more like $120...so, if that price was installed, then why are you bitching?

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

The $150 and $139 figure sounds to me almost like an installed price.

Depends on the size. Seems to me I got a pump from them for about $20. I always keep a spare around. The price of the pads depends on what type you want to use. The Aspen pads are the cheapest. I like the honeycomb paper pads or synthetic fibre. With them I think you get more area for evaporation.

Doing a little search I see there are lots of sites about maintenance:

Be sure to install a small bleed line to keep the water from getting saturated with minerals.

HRL

Four pads at around $10 a piece sounds about right. The pumps are cheap little gizzies that should cost less than $20. The small pumps suitable for 30" square evaporative coolers run around $15. I agree with another responder $150 for pads and $139 for the pump has to include labor to install. But that sounds high since you can buy a complete unit for less than that. Anyway installation is simple, so there is no reason to hire it done, unless you can't or don't want to climb up on the roof. $50 for labor would be reasonable since this isn't anything technical (equivalent to mowing the lawn).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

The labor cost was seperate $190 The $139 and $150 parts only... I did check around and the Master Cooler Pads big thick things (not Aspen) go for around $150..... pumps I found are a lot cheaper....suspecting I've been ripped

Reply to
Terry Cano

Reply to
George E. Cawthon