Re: Washing machine wanted

In article , Lee writes

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I suspect they meant that they >couldn't get *pattern* parts...

Aye, the repairman's trick is to fit the pattern part but charge the price of the original.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Or keep it and re-fit the (still working) original. Or break the original and fit a cheap (to him) replacement.

Chanced on Watchdog the other night. Wow - kitchen tiles held on with sticky tape...

Reply to
John Laird

Don't be so bloody silly. I can't work out why someone would pay 400 quid when the next one to it is only 250 smackers. And that's way too much for something you don't know for sure will do the damned job.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:37:19 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Mike Tomlinson strung together this:

That's not the repairmans trick, it's the cowboys masquerading as repairmens trick.

Reply to
Lurch

That's a hell of a good deal, and of course it will do the job, and better, for longer and quieter as well.

I made the point at the beginning, that one should look at the total cost of ownership of a purchase as well as the value of the beneficial factors.

It's the easiest thing to buy just on initial purchase price, but that is seldom the lowest TCO - certainly not with laundry appliances.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:50:30 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Michael McNeil" strung together this:

Because the one that costs less than twice as much will last more than twice as long. There aren't many decent machines out there any more, any that will last more than a couple of years without needing a repair of some sort anyway.

Reply to
Lurch

Saw that. The colour of the tiles was hideous. Good job they didn't make it on to the wall :)

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy