Re: Timber retaining walls

My neighbour has one constructed out of (fake) railway sleepers. Can't see it lasting 100 yrs.

Reply to
harry

Possible the life expectancy depends on the wood used and how the retaining wall is constructed.

Close to where I live 30 years ago they built some high rise flats in what used to be a pit. The sides of the pit have a timber retaining wall but the timber construction resembles the construction of pallets with

50:50 wood:gap. Between the wood and the soil they have in-filled with large rocks with all the rocks being larger than the gaps in the wood. I assume this type of construction allows for drainage and allows the wood to dry out rather being constantly in contact with wet/damp soil.
Reply to
alan_m

So what are these fake sleepers made out of then? Fake wood? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

MDF

Reply to