Re: The Coward Barnier

As are all canal boats, narrow boats a designed to fit the locks.

Reply to
harry

The narrow-boat diesel engines tend to be run at around peak torque rpm. which of course is much lower than peak power rpm. Run a small car at those engine speeds, and you'd be done for parking, hardly the smart thing to do.

Reply to
Spike

lets go back and to my post and copy what I wrote for you to read again

Many of those are narrowboat owners who have far more modest engines, but those are pretty economical anyway and again why should someone using fuel for a pleasure craft on water be charged less than someone using a vehicle for pleasure on the road.

Note the bit above which I will rewrite in big letters for you as you obviously have reading or comprehension difficulties.

MANY OF THOSE ARE NARROWBOAT OWNERS WHO HAVE FAR MORE MODEST ENGINES.

That you cannot understand such a simple statement and jump into full blown he must be a remainer mode which is neither here or there as this issue has been going far longer than debate about that, and I made similar comments about the use of cheaper diesel for the likes of those who can afford to bomb around in a Sunseeker costing a few million yet the bloke who can only afford boat with an outboard is stuck with a petrol outboard with no such cheaper concession years before we all got divided into leave ,remain or don?t care.

What is wrong with having two tanks any way ,the changes must have been proposed fought, off , or implemented for a years now. Plenty of time to have made alterations or built into new craft anyway.

As for LPG for a while we* ran a small narrow beam craft with an outboard, objecting to the cost of petrol the Honda 4 stroke was converted to LPG and ran quite well . used the same bottles for hearing and propulsion.

  • ?We? being a bunch of 20 something canal restorers who were saving up for our own narrowboat but other commitments such as wives mortgages etc came along so we had to lower aspirations, then lost interest and sold it.

But you Fredxx just go reading with defective eyesight with a prejudiced outlook,

and you call me ignorant.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I know. Its the speed at which they need to plane. Its not a limit. its the point at which power requirements can rise steeply. But its not even true theses days

The Natural Philosopher

The ships I was measuring weren?t planing ;-)

I don?t doubt what you say BTW.

We were actually using some equipment we?d developed for another application to help the RN measure some aspects of their ships? dynamics etc. Quite an interesting little project, one of several related ones I was involved in doing sea trials.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Thanks for the link. The following quote from that should clear up old-fashioned misconceptions about 'hull' speed and 'limits':

"From a technical perspective, at hull speed the bow and stern waves interfere constructively, creating relatively large waves, and thus a relatively large value of wave drag.

Though the term "hull speed" seems to suggest that it is some sort of "speed limit" for a boat, in fact drag for a displacement hull increases smoothly and at an increasing rate with speed as hull speed is approached and exceeded, often with no noticeable inflection at hull speed.

The concept of hull speed is not used in modern naval architecture, where considerations of speed-length ratio or Froude number are considered more helpful."

Reply to
Spike

That's the problem with Fredxx. His emotions completely control his thinking and the outcome is predictable enough.

You'll find he gets a block on understanding any facts which dismantle his argument although I don't think he does it consciously. When you see it, it is very odd. No amount of explanation of the simplest point will get through to him and he just repeats the same mistake again and again.

Reply to
Pamela

The article would be more helpful if it gave an indication of the rise in power required to exceed the 'hull speed'. My understanding is that power is linear up to this speed and then rises exponentially, such it is a more useful number than some give credit.

We wouldn't then get silly claims it takes hundreds of BHP to propel a narrowboat at 4mph.

For yachts but gives a good indication:

Also the drag associated with wave
It's not an accident the point at which the lines cross is near the 'hull speed'

Reply to
Fredxx

The pinnacle of ignorance is an idiot who lumps all boats on inland waters saying they are propelled by "powerful engines of several hundred horsepower".

It's the sort of misleading and incorrect statement I would expect from someone peddling the virtues of Project Fear.

Reply to
Fredxx

You're clearly a very astute individual, having seen only a tiny fraction of the total crap she's posted to uk.diy over the past couple of years.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'm pretty sure she's not a 'he' because of her total lack of DIY ability but you're bang on the money with your other observations.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They won't get the chance, anyway. Moggy is now in charge of arranging the business of the House and I think it's 'unlikely' he'll be able to fit sufficient time aside now before the end of October. :)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Jeez, you're such a long-winded bore!

Reply to