Re: Sutible lube for camping fridge gas tap?

when I woz a yoof and on a YTS skeem, I used service caravans. to service a

>gas fridge would basically involve hoovering the rad, blowing out pilot >light holes with compressed air and graphite greasing the dismantled gas >valves. only a smear was needed though!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that ..

If it's just std 'graphite grease' I have some in the workshop.

I'd have to say the fridge is now immaculate, inside and out (except the gas tap as yet).

Still smells a bit 'fumey' (see my later request) ..? ;-(

Ok, thanks for that ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

as long as its vented outside it shouldn't be a problem.... is the flame blue?

Steve

Reply to
steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting a bit desperate .. this fridge is in nearly new condition and works perfectly on electric. The gas works but I *think* isn't smelling right (suggesting something might be wrong). It also goes out when turned to 'Low' (suggesting the FFD but when it has held on on low the fame is soo small ..?)

Yes, the flame is stable, even and blue.

I took the valve out and to pieces tonight and checked and cleared all the drillings etc (it was very clean anyway).

The gas comes in from the back and goes via the tap full flow to the burner jet. For the low position there is a tiny hole in the side of the tap (that looked clear as well).

If the main flame is a bit low and the low goes out would that suggest anyting (to me it would suggest a feed problem but I have tried a couple of regs on different bottles) ?

I say a 'feed problem' because the main position could be low *and* the low goes out?

Could the ffd be restricting the main flow (it doesn't go out on High though)?

My address is real so if some pics of any of this would help I would appreciate the assistance ..(if you would drop me a line I'll send any pics you need by return).

I can't risk taking it on holiday as is (nox fumes?) , no time for a 'commercial' fix (and probably not cost effective) and not really got spare cash for a new one. I was thinking a new tap, jet and ffd must fix it and might be cheaper than a new one?

What would really p me off would be if I bought a new one and it did the same (indicating that mine was in fact ok ...?) ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your thoughts. ;-)

Yes, the spec plate on the fridge suggests that for butane should be

28mb whereas this (new) Campig GAZ regulator is 29mb? I have also used it on a propane setup with similar results (with a higher pressure)?

The hose is new and clear. Inside the inlet spigot there is a fibre filter that I can blow through and looks very clean.

It then goes through the valve and there didn't seem to be any debris or surplus grease in there that may have been obstructing any of the taps ports.

The burner jet (from memory) was not a very fine drilled type 'hole' but looked like it had been partialy 'punched out', like a micro version of the forming an old beer can opener would make (you know, the 'V' shaped peircing one)?

I inspected this under a microscope and it looked clean ans clear?

This is all very frustrating to me. I'm normally reasonably logical with this sort of stuf and like an engine, as you as you have compression, spark and some fuel it should work (neither are rocket science after all!) ? ;-(

I might take a bottle and reg to my local camping shop and see if they will let me fire up a display fridge and see what that smells like. I have had issues in the past where someone can't smell or hear a problem that I can?

All the best ...

T i m (aka frustrated of London)

Reply to
T i m

Hi,

A couple more things...

Try heating the FFD when the fridge is on low, if the flame doesn't go out then the FFD is restricting the gas flow.

Find out what the gas consumption should be on low and measure it with some plastic tube and an inverted jug in a container of water, if it's too low the tap may be restricting the flow too much.

Clean the jet out again with a suitable size nylon bristle.

HTH, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Ok Pete ..

Ok, I *think* I did that last time but I will do so again with the burner / ffd / ignitor away from the boiler so I can see exectly what happens. I don't mind if it's *just* the ffd as long as I get fume free use on 'high' .

Ok, (like making / trapping hydrogen at school ) . there is no mention of the low rate on the data plate only "10.5 g/h". I think I have the handbook for it somewhere so it might be in there ...

Ah, now I *may* of fed you with some misinformation here ..

I sent an e-mail to Camping Gaz yesterday night and got a nice reply this morning saying ...

"If the burner is working correctly you will not smell anything as the by-products of the flame are Carbon Dioxide and Water. However a Fumey smell could be signs of incomplete combustion. If the smell has an ammonia smell then it could be a coolant leak."

So armed with that I phoned the (very nice) guy up and he basically said give the boiler tube / jet a GOOD cleanout.

He also hit the nail on the head re the 'fumes' in that it was like a 'paraffin heater' (and it is). He explained that domestic butane and propane are 'polluted' to give them the gas smell with a form of paraffin and the fumes I mentioned may be that combined with partial combustion.

Anyway, with all the gas parts stripped down I scrubbed the boiler tube through over the sink (it was a *bit* sooty in there but not terrible,) cleaned the little spiral baffle from within the chimney, and the brass (no 19.) jet in front of the burner tube and the burner tube itself.. When I was describing the pressed V jet it must have been when I stripped the WestWinter fridge as this is a nice brass one? ;-(

I have now bought some "Molykote 1102" (the guy in the plumbers said "Oh you want some c*ck lube" ) and a small tin of 'Hawk White' for some of the compression joints.

So, I'm off to put it all back together and will let you know what happens ;-)

Thanks to all so far ..

T i m (Dinky Registered)

Reply to
T i m

I've got a gas fridge. It doesn't smell so much as put out hot steamy air, with a stale feeling to it if it builds up. However, if the gas part's new, it'll take a while to get all the oil burned off. Also, dust will accumulate when it's idle and that may smell a bit for a while.

Give it a few days and see.

Insects will fly into the burner every so often, attracted by the flame. You'll know...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Heater, too...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Hi again Thomas,

Thanks for the feedback and reassuring words.

So, I've got a fridge, incense burner and fly trap!

I'll leave it on till we go to bed and again during the day tomorrow and see how it fairs ..

Thanks again ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m