Re: Seal between tiles and bath?

That's why you should fill the bath with water before you apply the silicone sealant, then leave it full for at least 24hrs afterwards. The gap will be at it's widest with the load and will put the seal into compression when empty. Rather than sealing with the bath empty then having the seal in tension (thus prone to failure) when the bath is used.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice wrote: [...]

Yes, completely agreed.

But here's a slightly different problem: what about the case where the bath edge has a rather large radius? After filling the bath and sealing the gap by the approved method, I have no worries about splashes or condensation getting past the seal, but instead we're left with a small gutter in which water collects.

One of the strip profiles (about a 3/4in scotia) would bridge the gutter without looking too ugly, but with the nearest DIY shed 65 miles away I've been reading this thread with great interest. Thanks to everyone for the comments and information.

Reply to
Ian White

Rubbish. Silicone run thick enough is perfectly flexible.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But the instuctions for baths and silicone seal almost invariably say wipe down after use... Wiping down will also reduce the chance of black mould and/or the brown detergent residue build up.

Ouch I thought I was "remote" with the nearest shed 20+ miles away. It certainly concentrates your mind on what you really need and how much of it you need.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed, but those duties shouldn't include bailing out standing water. The wall>bath profile should definitely be self draining.

Stranraer (a mere 30 miles away) may finally get its very first DIY shed next year.

Oh b****r, it's going to be Homebase.

TGF the Web and white vans.

Reply to
Ian White

Toolstation must be handy for you, only £10 for free delivery.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This sounds like the bath is designed to be free standing and not for placing up near a wall.

I think these are good:

They need to be fitted under the tiles, but provide a good seal.

Reply to
Mark

And it seems to encourage mould/mildew.

Reply to
Mark

The wipe down around would remove the standing water...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice