Re: Seagate abandon remote access to their 'Central' NAS (2023 Update)

What you need to do is to set up 'port redirection' or 'passthrough' on your router so that ftp access requests to your external address is redirected to the internal address of the seagate.

I would point out that FTP uses two ports so you may need to redirect port 20 as well as port 21.

Also FTP is just secured by a username+password sent in plain text across the Internet.

If the seagate will accept sftp that is definitely preferred.

That runs on the ssh port of 22.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

nikkisantoro

Make sure that the username and password are correct. Being UNIX, case probably matters!

I found that I needed to use Port 443 rather than 22. Try telling your router to forward 443 to the NAS, and then tell FileZilla to use Port 443.

I'm pretty sure that's what I did. I was planning to verify it before replying but my NAS - having been on the blink for a long time - has finally died, and refuses to talk to me - even locally. And all attempts to recover its data by removing its disk and connecting it directly to my computer have failed. Fortunately there was nothing important on it which I hadn't already copied to another drive when it first went on the blink.

I don't know whether other manufacturers' NAS drives are any good, but my whole experience with this Seagate drive is that it's a pain in the arse!

Reply to
Roger Mills

FTP uses port 21 and 22

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, it doesn't.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My bad. 20 and 21..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And commonly nowadays just port 21, to avoid firewall and NAT problems. There is presumably a way of telling ftp servers you want this mode.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No rather there is a smartness in router NAT that understands FTP and will allow the back channel for data. Some of them anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But I was using SFTP which, AIUI, can use Port 22 or Port 443. I forwarded both of these to the Seagate NAS, and I'm pretty sure that it was 443 which worked for remote access.

[As I said in an earlier post, I can't go back to check 'cos my NAS is now dead]

I know I did a port scan on the NAS at the time in order to see which ports were open and thus worth investigating.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I would like to recommend you a good online essay writing service. An essay is a written piece of work that presents the author's perspective on a specific topic or subject. It typically consists of an introduction, body paragraphs with supporting

evidence or arguments, and a conclusion. Essays can be formal or informal, persuasive or informative, and are commonly used in academic settings to assess a student's knowledge and writing skills. They are a powerful tool for expressing ideas, analyzing issues, and communicating information effectively.

Reply to
Jose Miller

I thoroughly recommend using sftp whenever it is supported. The commands are generally the same as those in ftp, but the implementation is completely different and apart from being secure, it does work much better when NAT is involved. John

Reply to
John Walliker

hiii

Reply to