Re: Rain butt fill problem

I wish to place a rain butt the other side of a door to the gutter down

>pipe. This means the feed will need to be higher than the butt to get over >the door. > If I install the rain diverter higher than the top of the door, connect a > hose from this, over the door to the rain butt feeding it through a float > valve would this work? Once the float rose and shut the valve the pipe > would fill with water, then backup operating the rain diverter. > > Would this work, or has anyone a better solution? > TIA

It should work, but the problem is that the float valve will restrict the filling of the butt to a mere dribble as there will be very little 'head', so it will be difficult to keep the butt topped up. These divertors are relatively inefficient as they cannot cope with a large flow due to the typically 1" diameter pipe. If possible arrange for the down pipe to go into the butt with a suitably large overflow into the drain, I've used 40mm waste pipe for my overflow, and it's very rare that this doesn't cope. You might be able to get 40mm across the bottom of the door to the existing drain/soakaway?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

The ball valve will jam up with muck which comes down from the roof, and most likely fail to shut off.

The other advantage with this is the regular changing of water in the butt, which means it's always fresher.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel