re-painting French-style windows

And this from the man who thinks Lotus was founded by Graham Chapman!

There are plenty of building plots for sale, some of them very cheap, some of them not so cheap, but unless the advert gives the likely value of the finished product, no easy way to judge what percentage of the finished house is the land value. I haven't seen a single advert where the land value is the majority of the value but no doubt Dribble will cite any number of adverts that do fit his picture, if such adverts exist, or continue with his usual insults if he has no evidence.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

You can get about 10 houses to the acre..sorry, rabbit hutches. So 100=20 grand a plaot.

Not much when you stick up a 60 grand house and sell it on at 160k. plus.=

Of course a high rise flat represents even more density..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a few years ago now, but the survey on our last house gave value and rebuild costs:

Value: 86K Rebuild cost: 35K

so plot = 51K. Not far ofF Drivel's number. He can't _always_ be wrong. I suspect it varies radically with area: Rebuild costs are probably much the same across the country, and prices certainly aren't.

(prices have probably tripled since then.)

aNDY

Reply to
Andy Champ

Well, these were a mixture - some "traditional" (hah) two-storey hutches, but also three and four-storey ones (so 'flats' I suppose, but when I think of flats I think of ugly 70s tower blocks that are far higher - maybe there's a better term for the low-down stuff).

Hard to put a number on it - but it was very dense (greenery mostly via local parkland; the few gardens I saw were far smaller than the footprint of the dwelling). Considering the 'flats' I'm guesstimating at

50 per acre on average, built on prime land, so a million's perhaps not unreasonable (for the market - it certainly seems insane for a bit of open space! :-) cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I would think so, yes.

It is not lived on that is for sure. Much of it is subsided to lay idle. The overall agricultural subsidy is about £4.5 billion per year, £4.5 billion to an industry whose total turnover is only £15 billion per annum. Unbelievable. This implies huge inefficiency in the agricultural industry, about 33% on the £15 billion figure. Applied to the acres agriculture absorbs, and about 14 million acres are uneconomic. Apply real economics to farming and you theoretically free up 14 million acres, which is near 22% of the total UK land mass. This is land that certainly could be put to better use for the people of the UK.

We are!!! That is why we live in hutches and others do not. The large landowners in the UK do not live in hutches.

About right.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Ah that is norm.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I am always right!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

There is only 10% difference in build costs over the UK. Average is 2/3 of a house value is the value of the land. If all towns, cities and villages were twice as large, giving a population of 120 million, then still only 15% of the UK would be settled and that is only 5% paved.

So why does land account for 2/3 of the value of the average home, with all the negative spins offs, if we have all this land available?

Quite simply, the deliberate creation of an artificial land shortage, which ramps up land prices.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Before the economic crisis a house in Twickenham across the road from my mum was sold for £850K or so to a couple who promptly had it knocked down and a new one built. Site area probably 1/6 acre. New house (at the time) probably worth £1.2m, building cost £250-300K, fees etc £50K so a small notional profit (they built for themselves not to sell).

Similarly sized plots here in the better Melbourne suburbs sell for around A$400 = £200K - you can get the house built fairly cheaply (as compared with the UK) if you are happy to have a pattern book house, for example

(halve A$ prices to turn into £)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

You do talk bollocks.

The urban sprawl we have now, is over conjested and you advocate the doubling of houses and population, not to mention transport and support staff.

Most towns and cities are already over crowded with pedestrians during rush hour times and as for the roads we have now, we would have to double them as well. So much for your spouting about the economy of the Prius, we would have to double the number of them on the roads, doubling the polution along with them.

Now come out with some eco bollocks that explains how all the extra polution, that your ideas will produce, will not be expelled by all the extra construction of houses, roads and transport. Not to mention all the civil servants, quango's etc that will produce excess heat and polution by just being in existance.

Keeping the land idle has the effect of keeping the population down along with the polution, through lack of housing. This could lead to less immegrants wanting to come here...

You name isn't Blair, or Brown by any chance?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You say what you would accept as cheap and I will point you to a few adverts that fit.

When are you going to provide adverts that illustrate your claim?

You would have it that all land is expensive, even if it is only £2-300 an acre.

So you have had a vasectomy but why publicise the fact?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

You are an idiot. They are "official figures" Reda back on the thread dumbo, the figures are there. Dumbo!!!

Exactly!!

The UK has a land surplus.

We are living in crowded and dense cities, not a crowded and urbanised country.

Despite claims of concreting over the countryside, only 7.5% of UK land is settled.

The value of the land accounts for 2/3 of the average house price.

What don't you understand about te figures dumbo?

It keeps the large owners rich which you are not one being a sycophantic exploited one.

You are so thick you can't when you are being ripped-off.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So there are none. This is Roger making things up again. He does this a lot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Double dumbo jumped in and thought I was commenting about his figure about building costs, but I had read his post to the end before I answered.

I wonder if you have ever thought why? There is a very good reason.

Some abuse snipped.

They can only be rich if the government takes up your stance about building. No demand, no land value.

How can I have been ripped off? I have my own land, my own house and it didn't cost me all that much in todays costs. But every house owner can look back and say that.

I see you have conveniently snipped the bit about all the polution created by providing roads, transport, Prius, basic services and more importantly, the short term cost and long term payback time of the provision of all this.

Your heart is in the right place, your brain is so far up your arse...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Prey tell. What is it? Don't bother. 66% of the population own 70% of the land and hoard it and charge rents. And this plantpot thinks it is to stop immigrants or something half-witted.

They ARE rich because of the way the system is right now.

You really don't know. How sad. You are putty to those people. They love you.

It could have cost a hell of a lot less and you could have had a bigger house.

And electric rail using kinetic reclaim supercapacitors can prevent that. What world, are you in? Cloud cuckoo land world.

You are a brainwashed sycophant. You are so think you can't see when you are ripped off big time - like the rest of us. You really are a thicko.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Dribble you are a pathological liar as well as an imbecile. You want direction to a few adverts for cheap building plots? Just say what you would consider cheap and I will try to accommodate you.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

This is Roger making things up again. He does this a lot. Sad but true.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"Dribble you are a pathological liar as well as an imbecile. You want direction to a few adverts for cheap building plots? Just say what you would consider cheap and I will try to accommodate you."

So proof, if proof was really needed, that Dribble is incapable of comprehending a simple question, let alone having the capacity to answer it.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

What? More cleaning, more dust, more pollen and more allergies for me. Thanks. Not.

I am in the world of the sane and the free.

Is this electric rail produced with a negative carbon footprint then? And is the electric rail AC or DC? If it is AC, then the capacitors will, indeed, be super. If the rail is DC then the capacitors will be.... capacitors.

But once again, you have not addressed the bit about the polution created by providing transport.

I must ask, who taught you to write pure bollockese?

Yes, I am so think. That is all I do all day: think.

Now go to mummy and get your nappy changed and don't forget to remind her to dry behind your ears as well.

Dave

Reply to
Dave