Re: OT: Ringtones should be banned!

Mine does

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

UK or US? The mobile ringtones that sound like a ringing phone are invariably the US kind with single rings of dual pitch bells.

Reply to
Max Demian

I tried to get a telephone ring noise for mine, I live in the UK. All I found were US ones. For some reason instead of "ring!" they go "darng!" It's a weird noise that I have no idea how is created with a mechanical bell, but it sounds like it's depressed or underwater. I settled for the noise of "Big Ben".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If it's ringing in my pocket, it's unlikely to be my landline phone.

Reply to
charles

Telephones always used to have two bells with a clapper that goes between them. In the UK the bells had the same pitch; US bells slightly different pitches.

Reply to
Max Demian

Two notes at different pitches makes a chord, like on a piano. But American phones sounded weird. It was like they were being played backwards or something.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I used to hate that Nokia sound though, so one cannot have it both ways. One irritating thing about ringers is that they tend to sound like American phones in 1970s cop dramas, not UK ones. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You could alter the pitch. The bells were slightly assymetric, so you could rotate them on their fixing screw to alter the pitch

Reply to
charles

Well Vodafone are advertising a landline redirection to yer mobile for businesses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what BT did when some scroats pinched their cable between the exchange and my end of the village.

Reply to
charles

Must be annoying to others too, to hear it rattling around your head with nothing to absorbe the sound.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You can set almost anything for a ringtone on an iphone that is also in your music library.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Are you and the others aware that you have been feeding a Very well known troll and sociopath? "I have considered poisoning my father" "I would kill my sister if I thought that I would get away with it" (Peter Hucker)

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

You need the pitches to be at least two whole tones apart for a pleasant sound - a chord has three or more. I think the US bells are much closer together that that - probably not designed by a musician. And then you have the DTMF 'touch tone' sounds which certainly aren't musical - but they are meant to be used to communicate between machines.

Reply to
Max Demian

DTMF doesn't annoy me, but American ringing sounds plain weird, like it's underwater or played backwards. There's something quite odd about it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The word earworm is a calque from the German Ohrwurm, which has had this sense since the mid-20th century. The earliest known English usage is in Desmond Bagley's 1978 novel Flyaway, where the author points out the German origin of his coinage.

How is 'seeing eye dog' simpler than saying a guide dog.

Most dogs have eyes that can see.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Why are you writing coherently, are you not drinking whisky today?

Americans feel the need to spell everything out for the idiots among them (their average IQ is two lower than ours). Instead of a green and red man on crossings, they have "walk" and "don't walk", perhaps that's so the Mexican infidels don't understand and get run over?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I copied and paste it from the source which I forgot to add. I havenlt had a whisky today or had one for over a year, when I feel like one I'll have one until then I won't.

So do Australians well at least one does here.

only 2 that's suprising but I doubt IQ tests have enough accuracy to make such a result very meaningful.

They can't spell either :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Ah.

Even that sentence was pretty good, only one typo. Something has happened to you.

That one is quite odd.

Go to Scottish council estates and you'll see why ours is dragged down to 100. There's a reason they call benefits "brew money". Then they go to food banks claiming they can't afford to eat.

That's my point. A symbol might alert the silly Mexicans to not cross.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey