Re: OT: recommendations for used laptop w/ dock?

On 22 Aug 2014, Bill grunted:

In message , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net writes >>Morgan Computers have a good selection of refurbished etc. I recently >>bought an IBM Lenovo x201 from them for my wife and liked it so much >>that I bought one for myself too! :-) During August there's an extra >>10% off so my x201 cost only ?190. > > Hmmm, my X201 from a private ebay seller cost me ?135, and he threw in a > nice new-looking carrying case and delivered f.o.c. to the place of work > of a friend. It's a lovely, powerful, small machine.

Thanks to everyone for lots of very helpful advice - exactly what I was after.

Just ebayed myself an X201 plus dock, which looks just the job :)

Reply to
Lobster

On 24 Aug 2014, Lobster grunted:

Pinging Lenovo experts...

In fact the X201 I ended up with didn't come with a dock, which I'm now trying to source. There are plenty of docks on ebay which say they fit an X201, but I'm very confused as to whether this is right.

Looking at the specs at: ..it says that the "Ultrabase" docking station fits.

However, looking at the page which lists all their docking stations: the only model which is listed for the X201 is the "Lenovo USB 2.0 Port Replicator with Digital Video", which looks like a glorified KVM job to me, and not what I want: The list for the Ultrabase docking station does not include the X201.

I also downloaded Lenovo's compatibility guide spreadsheet at and that also seems to be pointing me at the Port Replicator as well. :(

There are different flavours of X201 (X201s, X201t, a tablet version) but AFAIK I have the vanilla version

Anyone with first-hand experience able to give me the low-down please?

Many thanks

Reply to
Lobster

First for everything start your searching on Lenovo's website from the PN labelled on the back of the machine. Don't rely on X201 whatever. Lenovo do customise their models somewhat.

If the above is accurate then mentioned on the last URL is PN 43R8781

Shove that into eBay, there are a few traders £10 post free.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

The model name is the "Lenovo X200 Ultrabase" - it's the same unit for all Thinkpad X200 and X201 derivatives.

Not to be confused with the X220 Ultrabase which is for the X220 and X230 range.

Reply to
Niel H