How do tradesmen charge ?

Working in IT, and having been brought up in a motor repair trade, I am used to the concept of charging per hour.
However, it seems to me that builders charge more "per job". Is this a fair assumption ?
Having the roof completely replaced at the moment, with a CheckATrade approved contractor. The agreed figure is £7,600 for new tiles, dry valley, verge and ridge tiles, along with refelting rebattening, and new fascia boards. Because we're a bungalow, there's no scaffolding costs (just a sodding big roof :().
Firm sent 2 lads today (got here at 8:30 and have just left). They have removed all the old tiles, and weatherproofed the felt for tonight. Tomorrow they're to start removing old battens and felt, and start fitting the new ones, although they think it'll need to be finished on Sunday. Tomorrow the gaffer will be here too, so that'll be 3 people.
So overall, it's something like 7 or 8 man-days.
No idea how much the parts cost, although there's probably the thick end of 1,000 tiles. Plus the valley kits etc ... £2,600 ?
Either way, it's hard to shake the feeling that in man-day terms, I'm looking at £500+/day.
Of course the works figure has to cover overheads and expenses, plus travelling time, which I appreciate, but £500/day seems a tad steep ?
Or should I just think in terms of price per job ?
AFAICT this is a kosher sum ... I had 3 quotes between £7,500 and £8,000, so it is what it is.
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:11:51 +0000 (UTC)

I'm not a contractor, but did you not get breakdowns of the estimates/quotations before agreeing to the job?
--
Davey.

On 21/02/2014 16:14, Davey wrote:

It is the work you do, not how fast you do it !
Paying for experience.
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:27:23 +0000, John wrote:

I guess that's a fair view. I remember an old friend of my Dads telling a tale of fixing a car. He charged something like 10 shillings to the shock of the customer.
"You only turned a screw !" "Ah, but it's knowing *which* screw" came the sage advice.
On 21/02/2014 16:58, Jethro_uk wrote:

I like the story about the Victorian gent who called in a plumber to change a tap washer. He received a bill for ten shillings & sixpence.
He wrote to the plumber demanding an itemised bill.
The itemised bill duly arrived;
Tap washer - sixpence. Knowing how to change a tap washer - ten shillings.

Agreed...

I reckon its the other way around. Pro gear a much greater chance of service info and designed to be worked on;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Don't really think Behringer as Pro equipment, suitable for home studios and the like?.

Nope don't do lighting..

'Oribble

They don't sound like "Pro" desks either, we work with sometimes older Neve's, Audix broadcast and Sonifex and EELA equipment's for mixers..
Misc. other studio and broadcast kit such as SBS, Audemat-Aztec, Orban, Harris broadcast, BW Broadcast, Mosely Microwave, Inovonics etc..

Mainly see QUAD 405,s and 520's and some other makes, but not that often...

AV amps?, wot are they;?...

--
Tony Sayer

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:14:31 +0000, Davey wrote:

To my shame, not really ... I'm a little frazzled with various other shit going on domestically, and dealing with tradesmen has done my head in. It's not something SWMBO can do, and the bottom line is we were filling bowls when it rained, so it's not really something that could be done in a leisurely fashion.
On 21/02/2014 16:56, Jethro_uk wrote:

Not knowing where you are, that does not seem a bad price for complete replacement of a big roof. Roofing is hard work as well as being fairly skilled, and risky. I agree your calculated day rate seems quite high although I guess these are long days. But you will pay that for half a day of a junior solicitor.
On 21/02/2014 16:11, Jethro_uk wrote:

Around £60 an hour, including weekend working, excluding only materials. Would you expect the motor trade to charge less these days?
Colin Bignell

The motor trade has large overheads like premises. A jobbing builder only a van.
--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

he might well have a yard and storage facilities. (Unless he keeps it all in then bath)
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Could be - although then becomes more than a jobbing builder? I suppose you could equate it to a mobile car mechanic who works out of a van.
However, you're not forced to accept the quote from any one builder. But finding one who does charge a reasonable sum for a smallish job can be tricky.
--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

On 22/02/2014 11:35, charles wrote:

To store what? Their tools fit in the van. The materials are delivered to site as required.
dennis@home wrote:

You can't leave tools in the van overnight. Anyway, they don't all fit in the van. Concrete mixer?

It's not that neat or simple.
Bill

On 22/02/2014 18:31, Bill Wright wrote:

bigger van?

They managed OK when they built a neighbours extension. Almost nothing came in the van, it all came from a builders merchant.
dennis@home wrote:

Higher overheads then. And in any case, you just can't carry a mixer, a variety of drills, a kango, a generator, a stilsaw, a lot of ladders, a scaffold platform, a big stepladder, a lot of handtools, all the necessary nails, ties, and other fixings, buckets, hosepipes, etc everywhere you go. Ludicrously inefficient.

So what you're doing here is generalising from one experience, and pitting your opinion against people who have a working lifetime of experience.
Bill
On 23/02/2014 04:06, Bill Wright wrote:

I'm not pitting against anyone, its one way to do it. There isn't any need for a builder to have a yard and can work out of his garage with ease.
There really isn't any reason why they need to hoard bricks, sand, cement or anything else.
dennis@home wrote:

I guess the model you have in mind is the one-man-band rather-amateurish not-very-ambitious I-only-do-small-jobs one. Not someone I'd employ.
Bill
On 24/02/2014 00:56, Bill Wright wrote:

That's like saying you shouldn't employ an aerial fitter that only does one aerial jobs.