Re: OT Gaming of petitions - the official response

Well I wouldn't trust *you* to design any database with that sort of performance.

I imagine that Amazon has at least a million UK customers and they manage to find my details in a matter of seconds. Similarly for eBay, Facebook, etc....

Reply to
newshound

You are pretty stupid if you think its done live and we could search a database much faster than that when I was testing a home location register for the BT network 8 years ago.

We didn't use crummy home linux machines.

Reply to
dennis

Hypocrite.

Reply to
dennis

But its not politicians who are saying it.

Anything to try and discredit anything TNP doesn't agree with.

Reply to
dennis

Well as TNP says all politicians lie, so all leave politicians lie. Therefore nothing about the leave campaign was truth.

TNP just keeps repeating the lies even though he knows they are lies. I wouldn't trust him about anything. Anyone checked the gridwatch figures?

Reply to
dennis

Want to tell us what those dis-benefits are?

Reply to
dennis

I do not see where it requires that someone signing a petition must be of an age to vote. If they reject those who are not it seems to me a fraud on the young people of the UK.

And if they check against the electoral register, why would they not say so as it would be an incentive for people to register?

And given the Electoral Commission estimate[1]

"Around 30% of 18-24 year olds are not registered to vote compared to less than 5% of those aged over 65"

is it credible that those not registered are so much less likely to sign a petition that the rejection rate is still only 1 per cent?

It seems to me we have rather a lot of assumptions and still very facts.

[1]
Robin

This is a silly as your other line that if the UK dared to try to leave the EU, it would be tanks through the chunnel in seconds.

Completely off with the f****ng fairies, as always.

Reply to
2987pl

They could, if you had completely missed the point / event. We were already in and it's for those who are keen to change that status quo to 'sell' it to all those who had no desire to change the status quo.

I have never, ever even hinted at such a thing.

That would be, had I.

I note that you are *still* unable to com,e up with any real world / practical assurance that most people would be very likely to be better off by us all leaving the EU. Why is that and so nicely proving my very point yet again?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

*If* they did, it would be the same old list of things that only seem to bother them but aren't even on the radar of 'most people'.

They know that's the case and so can only regurgitate the same old irrelevant (to most people) stuff.

Most people CGAF about things like sovereignty, especially if it means things cost more or the lose their job or house.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Quite (and 'Duh' of course). ;-)

And the point was, it didn't really matter what the Remain campaign did because remain didn't win and so have no impact on the status quo.

It's like a bank job set up by gang A and then it was done sooner by gang B. Gang A played no part so the losses were nothing to do with them.

Does he know though? Is he just not in complete denial (at best) or has lost the plot (at worst)?

I don't think many people would / do (if you look to see the few who support him here).

Luckily they aren't his figures. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

This has been bothering me as well. We have been told endlessly about unaccountability due to the commission being nominated rather than elected. Routine changes in our own elected government do not seem to achieve the nirvana expected.

I suspect it comes down to a reluctance to share equally with other nations, once considered inferior, when we still have some standing as a world power.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

because if the petition has the effect that they desire, a second referendum

only people of an age to vote will be able to, um, vote

And only people on the ER will be able to, um, vote

seems a perfectly reasonable filter to me

tim

Reply to
tim...

It would help if you named some of the databases that you think would provide the necessary functionality. Things have improved since I worked with some of the ones you may have in mind (or their predecessors). But I remain to be convinced that it can be done as easily as you imply. We have in this country no tradition of people registering a change of address. HMRC and DWP (and their predecessors) have often found they have up to date addresses for only 80 to 90 per cent of people (depending of course on the subset). Eg when setting up for the Scottish rate HMRC could only match some 85 per cent of addresses for taxpayers in Scotland to addresses on other systems. And that was with /full/ names and addresses - unlike the petition system which admits names such as "A Smith".

And then there's the question of giving the petitions team access to sensitive, disclosive data.

Reply to
Robin

Do remainers expect Nirvana? Lol

Reply to
tabbypurr

whatever the merits, I can see no justification whatsoever for applying such a filter secretly. That's why I doubt very much it is done.

Reply to
Robin

Hardly, but we do know what we have currently.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

But not what you will have in a years time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite - he has repeatedly said how easy it is to fiddle online figures. And has attempted to do so.

The logical conclusion is his grid watch figures are equally as easy to fiddle by anyone with an axe to grind - and let's face it, plenty of those.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Of course they don't actually need to access the data. They can make a hash of the data send that and the other end can check the hash and neither side needs to see the data.

This of course adds to the processing overhead but processing is cheap.

Reply to
dennis