Re: OT: breakdown insurance... cancelation fee

Gazz put finger to keyboard:

Wonder if i should just pay the tenner to cancel, but i'll send them > cash, a 10 pound note i've wiped my arse on along with their renewal > documents.

That may be tempting, but the person opening your envelope ain't gonna be the person who made the rule, or the call centre droid who wound you up. It'll be Sally in Accounts' daughter who is there on a 'Bring your Spawn to Work' day or something.

Reply to
Scion

That won't work. Your bank will simply transfer the charges to your new card.

Reply to
Steve Firth

if that's the case, what's the point of anyone ever reporting a card lost or stolen, if the banks will simply allow charges on the old presumably now in the hands of a criminal card, and transfer them to the new card that was issued so the old one could be canceled and no more charges made on it.

Reply to
Gazz

Because the charges are on the account behind the card not on the bit of plastic in your hand.

Reply to
polygonum

So tell the bank you want to cancel the DD.

Reply to
ARW

You are not talking about your card being lost or stolen. You are not talking about someone else racking up charges on your card.

You are talking about a continuing debit agreement that you entered into. You cannot void that agreement by changing the number of your card. The bank will transfer that agreement to your new card.

If you want to cancel the agreement write to your bank.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's not a DD, it's a Continuous Payment. Certainly until recently, you could not cancel one, you could only try to persuade the company taking it to cease and desist - your bank would just refer you back to the company.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

"Gazz" wrote:

May not void the agreement, but has certainly stopped further payments.

The bank use to say "write to the supplier" but that may have changed now.

Reply to
Fredxx

I went through this recently with the AA. I paid for an upgrade to my daughter's membership to get her car towed home. Unsurprisingly now, although it was to me at the time, the AA debited my BCard at renewal. Cancelling proved difficult because the membership is apparently linked to the post code which I had no means of knowing.

When this happened for the second year I asked BC to refund the payment. This they duly did while advising me that the AA could re-submit. Luckily, this time round they seemed to have got the message.

Continuing payment authority with on-line or telephone transactions is verging on theft to my mind...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hmmmm, so what if my card was stolen, and before i realised, someone took out one of these continuous yearly paid things, i get a new card once i have reported it, maybe even a refund but i doubt it. but next year the company that has the old card number tries to take payment, and my bank lets them take it on my new card number.

What's to stop say a petrol station re-entering my card details every week from the one time i bought a tank of fuel, i realise what is going on and cancel the card, will the bank let them keep on taking money even when they are submitting a canceled card number.... or do they just need to print a little box on the receipt and some tiny text saying if not ticked i authorise them to keep taking a tanks worth of money forever until i close the bank account down?.... if i open a new account at the same bank, will they transfer the requests for money to that too?

All greenfag have are my debit card details, same as if i had bought something in a shop, i did not set up a direct debit or any kind of yearly payment with my bank, but it seems that one little tick box missed, and they are allowed to keep taking what ever amount they wish indefinitely, until i pay them not to.

Reply to
Gazz

[snip]

Yes what if space aliens teleported it from your pocket and off their national galactic debt using it?

Meanwhile back in the real world, none of this happened. You made an arrangement for a continuing debit.

See above cancel the bloody agreement, in writing,

Reply to
Steve Firth

The FCA has just told banks they must honour requests to cancel Continuous Payment Authorities by their customers. It looks like this is going to be backdated to sometime in 2009, resulting in repayments being made now where banks had previously refused to do so (of which some 30,000 complaints have been lodged, but there are probably more cases than this where no complaint was lodged).

The other problem is that many banks currently have no process for canceling a Continuous Payment Authority, so although they now have to agree to do so, they will still need to rely on you to point out further payments which need to be reversed if the merchant continues taking payments.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel