Foundations specification - fee

I'm in the process of getting plans together for a small (3m x 1m) two storey extension. I've had all the plans done, and the architect's just sent off the building regs application to the LA.

I've just had a letter from an engineer, sent on the architect's invitation, quoting £450 plus VAT and expenses to specify the foundations. I hadn't expected this - I'd sort of assumed it was included in the architect's £1000 fee. Anyway, just have to be done I suppose, but is the fee about right?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

The whole thing sounds daylight robbery to be honest - unless there's something very unusual about your extension, or the location.

I eventually got rid of my architect and structural engineer - and did all the design and calcs for a chapel conversion myself. It really wasn't rocket science - architects use the same specifications over and over again, and on most domestic works the structural calcs is no more than plugging a few numbers into a standard formula.

Reply to
RubberBiker

We have just had foundations put in for a two storey extension and the question of foundation depth was answered by our groundwork contractors in conjunction with the building inspector without involving any type of engineer at all. But we're in a nice ground conditions and it's a conventional house.

Do you have a non-conventional design or difficult ground conditions? (where are you?)

FWIW our structural engineer charges 60 + VAT per hour, so that's a lot of calculations you're talking about.

Reply to
Jim

I should add, if you're going for full plans building regs approval, one approach is to just wait for the building inspector to come back with their comments: either the plans have enough information for them to pass or they haven't - they will ask for the calculations they need and there's no point having them done on the offchance.

Reply to
Jim

Many thanks everyone - think I'll just try and get a couple of quotes. I'm pretty sure the full plans have gone off for approval (Jim), so depending on how long that'll be, i might just wait. No rush.

Rob

Reply to
Rob