Re: New Combi boiler and hot water (lack of) (update)

>> Newbie post from a long time lurker here. Hoping someone can help. >> >> As part of a loft conversion, we replaced the old boiler system. >> >> The old was a 'traditional' open vented boiler system with a pump and a >> hot >> water tank, a salamander shower pump and a Bensham thermostatically >> controlled shower mixer. The new is a Worcester Bosch (WB) 28CDi RSF >> combi >> in the loft. >> >> Since installation (by a plumber working for the building contractor) the >> heating has been fine, but the 'hot' water has been tepid. >> The plumber went through the trouble-shooting routine, said that a flow >> sensor was defective and called WB. Today the WB guy came, tested >> everything. >> He says the sensor is fine but that we had a 'cross'leak'. He thinks that >> the shower mixer is allowing cold water up the hot side and into the taps >> (which he tested by switching off the hot supply and getting a good flow >> of >> cold water out of the bath hot tap). >> >> The local bathroom place says this is a good quality mixer suitable for >> mains pressure and disputes the diagnosis. Any thoughts please - just >> trying >> to make sure i'm not getting dicked around and looking forward to a hot >> shower again. > > The diagnosis by WB guy is plausible. Quite a few but not all shower > mixers and bath-shower mixers have this 'feature'. A number of > manufacturers but not all put non-return valves in the inlet to the mixer > to ove come this 'feature'. > > The shop may be right in saying what they say about the mixer but that > won't stop the problem in this case. > > As a temporary work around try turning the mixer all the way to full hot > or full cold and see if the 'feature' goes away. If you have the sort that > only have one control that goes from off to cold through hot then you > can't, off course. One or maybe two non-return valves added to the supply > to the mixer will fix it properly. >

Well the plumber has been and put a non return valve on the hot side. We now have good hot water to all outlets but still a tepid shower. any further thoughts from the jury ?

Reply to
DavidG

What is the make and model of the mixer and is it pressure ballanced?

Reply to
James Salisbury