Re: loo flush avoids a bit of the loo

> > Our loo flushes really well. But it avoids a 2 inch gap at the front left > > side. Does this mean it isn't level? Dare I let hubby near it? > > Might be. First thing is to check that the underside of the rim is free > from scale, which upsets the water flow. > > -- > Bob Eager >

Ooo now that was an education. Never looked under the rim before. Took a magnifying shaving mirror to see all the glory as close as pos. It was totally spotless, I'm glad to report. I have to clean it frequently what with the rugrats and their ways. But I feel bad that I haven't been checking in there and just hoping for the best.

The interesting ?!(I need to get out more) thing was there was two larges slots. At the very front there are 3 little holes, 5mm or so. At 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock are these 5cm slots, followed by more wee holes. Never knew that before. Looks water is coming out of the slots but only trickling from the side holes and none coming out of the top hole at all.

Took a nail and a screwdriver and hoked on the holes but can only see limescale in the front ones. Poked that as best as I could but still no water comes out. How am I meant to cure this. I can't get at where the blockage is.

Toilet is also off plumb slightly which accounts for the gap at the left I suppose, but this investigation has turned up this more pressing matter of the little holes blocked. Left limescale remover on it last night which made damn all difference.

Is there a crafty way of sorting this?

The toilet is a good solid plain white Armitage Shanks, so I'd like to keep it. Not that limescale would ever be a reason to replace, surely?

All ideas welcome as usual. Come on, throw your tuppence in.

Suzanne

Reply to
Suz

Andy, when I get the limescale sorted, what do I do about levelling? It's only off a bit, but the annoying thing is the toilet seat slides off to the low side every few months.

Reply to
Suz

Do you have an idea by how much?

How much do you have tolift one side of the spirit level to reach a true level?

The traditional way to bed loo pans is onto a mortar bed. This involves removal of the pan, laying bed, locating, levelling and screqing down using screws together with special plastic inserts against the china,

Another way is to bed the pan onto a combination of silicone sealer and strips of something like plastic flooring as packing. You can do this method by simply loosening the screws and sliding the packing underneath. Once the silicone has cured, you can trim around and then tighten the screws.,

In the circumstances, it's worth checking the flush as you level the pan.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Fill the cistern with brick acid :-)

Seriously, he limescale will eventualy remove itself if you use enougfh de scaler. I thnk some of thoise loo bloo thuings do a descaling job. as well as making a suburban pong.

Uric acid and limescale together with fecal matter make the most curious of conglomerates. Evil smelling concrete. Its best to eradicate it befor chipping it out becomes necessary. If you CAN find a way to squirt conc sulphuiric acid up under the rim, it works very quickly.

Youy have to work ait it tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try using a suitable bottle brush to clear the holes.

Reply to
martin.shaw11