Re: I hate uPVC – repairing lock in door

Hi,

> > I think the part of the lock that is in the door frame is the strike > or keep. Well, that part, in my uPVC door (possibly most), is a metal > plate with a slot screwed on to the uPVC frame. Well one of the > screws holding the strike at the top of the door is loose and will not > tighten ? the screw just rotates. As a result the strike slips and the > rod in the door sometimes will not pass into the strike. I can > overcome this by pushing the strike back into position by hand. > However, I have to tell visitors who have a key to door this if the > door does not lock. So, Is there some material I can ?inject? into the > current screw hold in the uPVC that will reduce the size of the hole > and stay in place in the frame, thereby allowing me to tighten the > screw and fix the strike? The same way one used to put splinters of > wood and wood glue into oversize holes in wooden door frames.

I once repaired a loose hinge on a metal door frame in an office partition that was like that. The hinge screwed into a thread on the frame which was u/s.

I drilled both holes out & used a spring toggle.

maybe you could use a pop rivet?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Drill a bigger hole & coutersink in the metal plate, and use a larger self-tapping screw.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Clive,

If you have someone near you selling UPVc supplies such as locks and handles, pop down there and ask them to sell you some *REPAIR* screws for UPVc.

These are very slightly larger than the original fixings and have a coarser, twin 'spiral' thread that bites into the plastic around the original hole.

Cash

Reply to
Cash