How are door frames fixed to walls?

The reason I ask it that the door frame between my kitchen and garage is loose and I can't see how to fix it. Normally to fix wood to a wall I would use screws and expansion plugs but I can't see how I would get the expansion plugs in without drilling a hole through the frame so big that the screw head would just go straight through.

Any suggestions welcome,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth

With a frame fixing like this.

JohnW

Use a "frame fixing" (skinny plug, big head). Designed to solve just this problem.

You might need to buy a new Pozi #3 or '#4 screwdriver to get them in place.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

John,

Thanks for the quick response.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth

Frame fixings.Any decent hardware shop should have them, Screwfix/Toolstation do them. They are an extra long wallplug like sheath, the head of this sits in the woood of the frame after you have drilled, you then put the screw in. OId frames are likely to have been nailed in place.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

The heads of which are normal hidden by the door stop when it is fixed into place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the replies, it looks like this will be easier than I thought

Reply to
Gareth

Take care not to over-tighten the frame fixers if the wall is uneven - it's possible to distort the frame. Fill any major gaps with expanding foam to give a really solid feel.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You might find even expanding foam is enough.

Spamlet