Re: Help! Cracling noise (and flickering light) on Cooker Switch

Hi,

> > - I'm no sparkie expert, but could do with some troubleshooting advice > - > > I've had a Brittania cooker installed for over 2 years now. It's a > dual-fuel cooker with the Electrics supplying gas ignition and two > cookers (one has a fan in it). > > The cooker is wired as follows : > > Fuse Box Dedicated RCD -> Cooker Switch -> Extension Cable -> Sealed > Junction Box -> Original Cooker Wire -> Cooker > > All cables with use a 40A cable and is more than ample for the power > draw of the cooker.

Extension Cable ???

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Re: Help! Cracling noise (and flickering light) on Cooker Switch

a little electrical screw somewhere loose?

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

The extension cable is the same as the cable from the fusebox i.e.

40A.

It's needed because the original cooker wire is not long enough to reach the cooker switch.

Another thing that's occured to me : WHy is it the crackling's coming from the Cooker Switch ? It could be coming from the RCD or from the junction box (connecting the original cooker cable and my 'extension' cable).

Could itjust be a faulty switch ?

Reply to
DarkKnight

Sure it could - but while you're at it, i'd be tempted to replace the patched up wiring to the cooker...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Indeed, preferably before someone dies.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

It is not that badly patched up. There are no more terminals or connections than a circuit using a cooker outlet plate would have.

There is a loose terminal somewhere. Every terminal need to be checked (right back to the consumer unit) The cooker switch may have been damaged by the localized heat and may need to be changed.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Could be due to grease getting into the contacts.

Reply to
John

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember DarkKnight saying something like:

Most likely - they don't last forever.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Even if all the terminal screws are tight a faulty contact in the switch could lead to arcing which would heat up the switch terminal and the end of cable.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

I've replaced the Cooker switch and now I do not get any crackling or flickering light.

I'll keep my eye on it over the next few days, particularly, when the electrical demand is higher with the Fan on. But hopefully, this has fixed the problem.

Thanks all for your help.

Cheers

Reply to
DarkKnight

The message from DarkKnight contains these words:

Reply to
Appin

The message from DarkKnight contains these words:

Remember that these switches are not made for being turned on and off frequently. If you use them frequently they tend to have a short life.

Reply to
Appin

I switch my cooker off whenever I have finished using it.

If the rings and oven are off, as they should be, the switch is operated under no load.

Owain

Reply to
Owain